Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:30 PM

Rovers start League 1 season with a win

Tranmere started the 2012-13 npower League 1 season with a 3-1 victory over Leyton Orient at Prenton Park.
Zoumana Bakayogo opened the scoring in the first half with summer signing Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro adding a brace after half time.
Though Orient pulled back a late goal from the penalty spot, Rovers were far enough ahead to extend their unbeaten home run to 13 matches.
Rovers dominated the early stages and after a cross from Andy Robinson went straight through the six yard box, Danny Holmes forced a good save out of Jamie Jones with a low drive towards the bottom left corner. 
Ben Gibson was undone by the bounce of the ball on eight minutes but Kevin Lisbie was unable to take advantage of the situation from his position on the edge of the area.
James Wallace headed clear a dangerous free kick on 11 minutes and the Rovers captain combined well with Robinson nine minutes later before releasing Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro down the left wing but the striker's touch took the ball too close to the goalkeeper as he tried to cut past a defender.
Ash Taylor positioned himself well to block Dean Cox's volleyed attempt from 20 yards on 22 minutes and Gibson recovered well to prevent Lisbie running through on goal from 40 yards out soon after. 
A powerful run from Wallace that saw him knock the ball one side of Nathan Clarke and run around the other to collect it ended with his 20 yard effort being blocked by Scott Cuthbert on 28 minutes. 
Strong hold up play from Jake Cassidy allowed the striker to cross towards the penalty spot on 30 minutes but after the ball was cleared as far as Wallace 20 yards out, it didn't fall kindly for the midfielder and Orient cleared.
Rovers took the lead on 34 minutes. A long clearance from Owain Fon Williams was controlled by Cassidy and played into the path of Zoumana Bakayogo who ran into the left side of the area and calmly fired past Jones into the bottom left corner.
Wallace's strike from the edge of the area was deflected wide on 38 minutes, while Owain Fon Williams pulled off a fine save in injury time from David Mooney after the striker had flicked the ball between Taylor and Gibson and volleyed towards the far corner.
A through ball from Robinson fell right into the path of the overlapping Bakayogo on 55 minutes but his cross was hit straight at Jones rather than team mate Cassidy on the edge of the six yard box. 
Wallace forced a corner on the right hand side on 57 minutes which eventually led to Tranmere's second goal. The cross was cleared as far as Palmer on the edge of the area and a long passing move involving Joe Thompson, Gibson and Bakayogo saw the ball reach Akpa Akpro 20 yards out. The former Rochdale striker moved it out of his feet before lifting it over the Orient defenders inside the area and into the top right corner giving Jones no chance of a save.
The lead was extended on 65 minutes. Wallace curled a dangerous cross to the far post from outside the area and Akpa Akpro got behind the Orient defence to head down and in off the body of Jones for his second goal for the Club.
Cassidy's long range effort went straight to Jones on 74 minutes while Taylor's header was comfortably saved by the keeper soon after.
Abdulai Bell-Baggie was introduced in place of Robinson on the left wing and double goalscorer Akpa Akpro was replaced by Cole Stockton as Ronnie Moore added some fresh legs for the closing stages.
Chorley headed wide at the far post from an Orient keeper on 85 minutes and Gibson got his body in the way of a Cox shot soon after.
However, the visitors pulled a goal back three minutes from time. A penalty awarded for a foul on Jimmy Smith was stroked home by Michael Symes, the striker sending Fon Williams the wrong way from the spot.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Gibson, Bakayogo, Thompson, Wallace, Palmer, Robinson (Bell-Baggie 77), Cassidy, Akpa Akpro (Stockton 82). Substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Power, Harrison, Kirby.

Leyton Orient: Jones, Sawyer, Cuthbert (Chorley 49), Baudry, Cox, Griffith, Lisbie (Symes 69), Smith, Clarke, James, Mooney (Brunt 69). Substitutes: McSweeney, Laird, Allsop, Odubajo.

Referee: Geoff Eltringham

Yellow cards: Robinson (68), Cox (68), Baudry (80), Fon Williams (88), Symes (88)

    Latest Match Reports