Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:30 PM

Robinson treble earns Rovers win

Andy Robinson scored the first hat-trick by a Tranmere player in more than five years to give Rovers a 3-0 win at Carlisle United. 
The victory, secured by three fantastic goals, kept up the Club's 100% start to the 2012-13 season.
Two of Robinson's strikes, which capped a superb all round display from the attacking midfielder, were direct from free kicks, while the first was a curling shot into the top corner. The three made up the first treble since Craig Curran's on the final day of the 2006-07 season.
Ronnie Moore fielded an unchanged team following the 3-1 win over Leyton Orient on the opening day of the League season, with Ben Gibson again partnering Ash Taylor in the centre of defence.
A poor Carlisle pass on the halfway line allowed Tranmere to counter attack in the second minute and from it Jake Cassidy forced the first save of the game, sending a powerful effort towards the top left corner from Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro's pass which Adam Collin tipped behind for a corner. 
Liam Noble shot wide of the target for the home side from 25 yards on five minutes but the action soon swung back to the other end. The ball was played out wide to Joe Thompson and his crossfield pass found Andy Robinson just outside the penalty area. The 32-year old controlled, looked up and brilliantly curled a shot past Collin and into the top right corner to give Rovers an early lead. 
After another long range effort from Noble missed Owain Fon Williams' goal on 18 minutes, Rovers quickly doubled their advantage. 
A foul on Akpa Akpro 25 yards out gave Robinson a shooting opportunity from a free kick and the ex-Leeds player sent a low effort into the bottom left corner, just beating the dive of Collin.
The home side had a chance to pull a goal back on 24 minutes when midfielder James Berrett broke into the area but Fon Williams was quickly off his line to  claim the lose ball after Gibson got a vital block in.
Robinson popped up again on 29 minutes, this time pulling off a timely interception in the Rovers area as Carlisle looked to take advantage of Fon Williams being dragged out of his goal by Ash Taylor's misplaced back pass. 
Robinson's attempt to complete his hat-trick was blocked by a defender on 31 minutes while Danny Cadamarteri's looping header went just wide of the Tranmere goal soon after.
James Wallace powered his way through the Carlisle half before sending a dipping shot towards goal on 37 minutes that Collin had to palm away from goal.
Rovers twice almost went three up three minutes into the second half. First Thompson headed over the bar from close range and moments later Cassidy sent a diving header wide at the far post, with both crosses supplied by Robinson.
Robinson sent a 40 yard effort narrowly wide of the target on 53 minutes, while the home side made a double substitution which almost had an immediate impact. 
A free kick awarded against Holmes was sent in to the far post and David Symington's low effort was saved by Fon Williams. The ball wasn't cleared far however, and it needed a lunging goal line clearance from Taylor to keep out Paul Thirlwell's effort that had gone through the crowded area.
The Robinson show continued on 67 minutes in spectacular fashion. A free kick awarded for a foul on Wallace 30 yards out gave him another shooting opportunity and he sent a bullet of a shot straight past the wall and the keeper into the top left corner to complete his hat-trick.
Ronnie Moore threw Cole Stockton on in place of Akpa Akpro on 72 minutes and two minutes later there was applause around the whole ground when Robinson was replaced by Abdulai Bell-Baggie.
A Cassidy shot took a deflection and looped over the bar on 86 minutes after good work from Wallace on the right wing, the final chance of the game for Rovers.

Carlisle: Collin, Simek, Livesey, Edwards, Bugno (Symington 57), Noble (Beck 32), Thirlwell, Berrett, McGovern (Chantler 57), Cadamarteri, Robson. Unused substitutes: Gillespie, Murphy, Welsh, Potts.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Gibson, Bakayogo, Thompson (Power 83), Wallace, Palmer, Robinson (Bell-Baggie 74), Akpa Akpro (Stockton 72), Cassidy. Unused substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Harrison, Kirby.

Referee: Graham Salisbury

Yellow cards: Palmer (40), Holmes (59), Berrett (61), Livesey (66), Thirlwell (68)

    Latest Match Reports