Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:30 PM

Rovers held at Gresty Road

Tranmere's unbeaten start to the 2012-13 npower League 1 season continued with a goalless draw at Crewe Alexandra.
In a close game at Gresty Road neither keeper was overly tested throughout the 90 minutes, with Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro and Andy Robinson the closest to scoring for Rovers.
Ronnie Moore made just one change to the team that started the league game against Colchester as Ash Taylor returned from a thigh injury to take the place of Roman Golobart in the centre of defence. 
Both teams started brightly. For Rovers a couple of early cross from Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro and Zoumana Bakayogo weren't capitalised on while Jake Cassidy volleyed wide from Abdulai Bell-Baggie's right wing cross in the third minute.
At the other end, a long range effort from A-Jay Leitch Smith was comfortably dealt with by Owain Fon Williams in the Tranmere goal and a Max Clayton shot was blocked by Ben Gibson for a corner.
Fon Williams easily saved Kelvin Mellor's flick header on 16 minutes and Clayton headed wide soon after as the home team began to take charge.
A foul on James Wallace 30 yards from goal gave Rovers a dangerous free kick in a shooting postion on 21 minutes. Andy Robinson tried to find the net for the fourth time in 2012-13 but his right foot effort curled over the bar and just past the top left corner.
Clayton skipped past the challenge of Ash Taylor after good work from Byron Moore on the right wing on 24 minutes but his long range attempt went high and wide of the Tranmere goal. 
Robinson sent a low left foot shot wide on 33 minutes from outside the area and Cassidy looped a header on to the roof of the net three minutes later.
Akpa Akpro couldn't quite make contact with Cassidy's low ball through the area on 36 minutes while it needed a last ditch block from Gibson to keep out Harry Bunn's shot.
Akpa Akpro's 25 yard shot deflected away from the target on 45 minutes, the last chance of the first half. 
Rovers spent much of the opening quarter of an hour of the second half in the Crewe half without testing Alan Martin in the home goal. 
A Robinson free kick deflected off team mate Gibson and away from the target while Bell-Baggie's right wing cross was cleared from the path of Akpa Akpro at the far post.
Fon Williams held on to Gregor Robertson's dipping free kick on 66 minutes and a long range effort from Wallace went well over the bar soon after for Rovers.
Alex captain Luke Murphy sent a 20 yard shot wide of the target on 71 minutes and Chuks Aneke snatched at a left foot effort and sent the ball away from goal soon after.
Two long balls over the Alex defence caused problems for the home side, with Akpa Akpro first testing Martin with a low angled shot before the striker did well to keep the ball in play with a looping cross for Cassidy who rose above a defender and headed just wide of the target.
Liam Palmer found Wallace on 89 minutes and the Rovers captain's 20-yard curler brought a save out of Martin and moments later the keeper kept out Akpa Akpro's header at the back post.
The home side had a late chance to steal the points but Brendon Daniels' 30 yard free kick went high over Fon Williams' bar.

Crewe: Martin, Davis, Ellis, Robertson, Murphy, Mellor, Osman, Clayton (Tootle 72), Leitch-Smith (Daniels 81), Moore, Bunn (Aneke 62). Substitutes: Garratt, Dugdale, Turton, Guthrie.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Gibson, Bakayogo, Bell-Baggie (McGurk 73), Wallace, Palmer, Robinson, Cassidy, Akpa Akpro. Substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Golobart, Harrison, Thompson, Stockton. 

Referee: Robert Madley

Yellow cards: Murphy (85), Wallace (90+2)

    Latest Match Reports