Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:30 PM

Cassidy and Robinson on target in win

Andy Robinson and Ronnie Moore beat the curse of the monthly awards as Rovers defeated Coventry City 2-0 at Prenton Park.
A day after being named League 1 Player of the Month for August, Robinson followed Jake Cassidy on to the scoresheet in the second half as Manager of the Month Ronnie Moore maintained his unbeaten run at home since returning to the Club in March.
The result took the Club's undefeated home streak to 15 games and lifted them back to the top of League 1.
Rovers Boss Ronnie Moore opted for the same starting XI that took on Crewe but Jake Kirby replaced Adam McGurk on the bench. Former Tranmere players Steve Jennings and Joe Murphy started the game for Coventry.
Andy Robinson fired the first shot of the game straight at Murphy from the edge of the area in the second minute, while David McGoldrick sent a right foot shot wide of the target from 25 yards at the other end soon after.
Chances were few and far between in the early stages, though Owain Fon Williams did well to deal with a left wing cross that deflected off the boot of Abdulai Bell-Baggie and towards his near post on 15 minutes.
Some good play from Jake Cassidy and Liam Palmer went without reward for Rovers who gradually came back into the game after a shaky start.
On 28 minutes Robinson ran on to an Akpa Akpro flick on and saw his shot deflect from a corner, and moments later the League 1 Player of the Month for August had another goalbound effort blocked by a defender.
Muphy had to be alert to claim a Robinson cross out of the path of Palmer on 40 minutes while Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro couldn't get his leg around a near post cross from Danny Holmes a minute later and sent his shot well wide of the target.
The final chance of the half saw Cassidy get ahead of a defender at the back post but the striker had to stretch and turned his shot just past the top left corner.
Rovers started the second half brightly, forcing a coiuple of corners in quick succession and keeping the visitors camped in their own half. However, on 53 minutes the Sky Blues counter attacked, won a set piece following a foul by Holmes and sent a dangerously positioned free kick over the bar - a reminder that the game was very much in the balance.
Kevin Kilbane dragged a shot wide of goal following a powerful run from McGoldrick on 59 minutes and Carl Baker fired over the bar soon after.
The visitors nearly broke the deadlock on 61 minutes when Baker met a right wing cross at the back of the six yard box but his header crashed against the post and away from goal.
They kept up the pressure and went close again on 63 minutes, with Fon Williams having to dive to his right to palm a Stephen Elliott 25 yard shot away from goal.
The visitors had a golden opportunity to take the lead on 72 minutes. A back pass from Palmer was hit short of Fon Williams allowing McGoldrick to intercept. However, the Rovers keeper forced his opponent away from goal and he was unable to pick out a team mate allowing Tranmere to clear.
Rovers responded well, taking the lead with around ten minutes remaining. Bakayogo surged up the left wing and played the ball towards the penalty area. Palmer stepped over the pass allowing it to run straight into the path of Cassidy and the Wolves loanee held off a defender before poking a shot across Murphy and into the bottom right corner.
Soon after it was 2-0. Substitute Joe Thompson, on for Bell-Baggie, whipped a low cross into the Coventry area and Robinson stretched out his leg and turned the ball past Murphy and in off the left hand post.
Danny Harrison and Jake Kirby were introduced in the closing stages as Rovers made it three wins out of three at Prenton Park in 2012-13.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Gibson, Bakayogo, Bell-Baggie (Thompson 73), Wallace, Palmer, Robinson (Harrison 85), Cassidy, Akpa Akpro. Substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Golobart, Kirby, Stockton.

Coventry: Murphy, Clarke, Elliott (O'Donovan 81), Kilbane, McGoldrick, Edjenguele, Baker (McSheffrey 73), Hussey, Wood, Jennings (Fleck 82), Barton. Substitutes: Brown, Dunn, Daniels, McDonald.

Referee: Andy D'Urso

Yellow cards: Jennings (36)

    Latest Match Reports