Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:30 PM

Tranmere stretched their unbeaten home run to 18 games with a 3-2 victory over Yeovil Town. 
Ronnie Moore's side did it the hard way, going two goals down in the first half. 
However, captain James Wallace pulled one back just before half time, Jake Cassidy equalised early in the second half and Danny Holmes completed the comeback. 
Moore was boosted by the availability of Owain Fon Williams less than 24 hours after he was on the substitutes' bench for Wales, while Joe Thompson replaced the injured Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro in the starting line-up. 
It was almost 1-0 to Tranmere in the opening minute. Adam McGurk won possession inside the Yeovil half, raced into the area and laid the ball back to Jake Cassidy whose low shot was kept out by the foot of Marek Stech. 
After Rovers survived a goalmouth scramble in their own area, a long range effort from Ash Taylor went high over the bar on four minutes. 
The visitors took the lead on eight minutes. Bakayogo's attempt at tackling James Hayter on the edge of the area saw the ball fly across the area to the unmarked Paddy Madden and the Carlisle loanee curled a shot past Fon Williams into the right side of the net. 
Rovers were close to an equaliser on 11 minutes. A cross from the right was whipped in by Abdulai Bell-Baggie with McGurk's back post side footer going just over Stech's bar. 
Ash Taylor couldn't quite make the contact he wanted with a back post header from McGurk's corner on 22 minutes while Rovers were fortunate to not concede from a Yeovil counter attack soon after, with the final ball to Madden being over hit. 
Fon Williams saved from Madden at his near post on 24 minutes and four minutes later the Glovers doubled their advantage. Again Tranmere failed to deal with a ball bouncing inside their penalty area and it eventually fell to Sam Foley whose shot gave Fon Williams no chance of a save. 
Thompson scuffed a shot wide of the target from 25 yards on 32 minutes while Wallace fired just past the right hand post from a similar distance soon after. 
Rovers pulled a goal back on 45 minutes. After a foul on Danny Holmes, McGurk swung a free kick towards the back post where Wallace rose highest to head in his second goal of the season. 
Stockton was introduced in place of Thompson for the start of the second half and the youngster almost levelled four minutes later when he poked McGurk's cross towards the near post but his shot was kept out by Stech.
The Yeovil keeper pulled off another save a minute later when he parried an effort from McGurk after the former Aston Villa player twisted his way past Joe Edwards but the ball landed straight into the path of Cassidy who powered home his shot for his eighth goal of the season. 
Rovers were denied the lead on 61 minutes when Stech dived high to his right to keep out Bakayogo's left foot shot after the full back had been sent through on goal by Wallace. 
Stech got to a long ball over the Yeovil defence just ahead of Stockton on 67 minutes and the Rovers striker fired across goal and narrowly wide moments later from the edge of the area. 
At the other end Keanu Marsh-Brown missed the target from 25 yards on 68 minutes and five minutes later his team were down to ten men when Joe Edwards was shown a red card following his second booking of the match. 
Fon Williams kept Tranmere level with a fine close range save from Madden on 76 minutes and Foley fired wide from the rebound. 
Three minutes later Stech pulled off another fine stop when he palmed Bakayogo's first time shot around the post but from the corner that followed Rovers took the lead. The ball was played short to Holmes whose first effort was blocked by Hinds. However the defender quickly won back possession and fired low into the net for his first ever goal at Prenton Park. 
It wasn't far off 4-2 on 82 minutes when Bell-Baggie's long range effort was well saved by Stech. 
Paul Black made his Tranmere debut on 86 minutes as a substitute for McGurk with Bakayogo pushing further forward on the left. 

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Gibson, Bakayogo, Thompson (Stockton 45 HT), Wallace, Palmer, Bell-Baggie, Cassidy, McGurk (Black 86). Unused substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Harrison, Power, Kirby.

Yeovil: Stech, McAllister, Hinds, Marsh-Brown, Upson, Hayter (Williams 76), Foley (Webster 76), Madden, Burn, Smith, Edwards. Unused substitutes:  Blizzard, Reid, Stewart.

Referee: Kevin Wright 

Yellow cards: Burn (21), Wallace (41), Smith (41), Edwards (41), Holmes (79), McGurk (82), Marsh-Brown (93) 

Red card: Edwards (73) 

    Latest Match Reports