Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:30 PM

Tranmere's unbeaten start to the 2012-13 npower League 1 season came to an end with a 3-1 defeat at Bournemouth. 
Rovers had won nine and drawn three of their opening 12 fixtures to sit top of the division but three second half goals cancelled out Jake Jervis' opener and gave Eddie Howe's side all three points in his first game back in charge at Dean Court. 
Despite the loss, Rovers remained in first place heading into back to back home games against Doncaster Rovers and Preston North End. 
New loan signing Jervis went straight into Ronnie Moore's starting line-up in place of Joe Thompson while Andy Robinson missed out with a calf injury. 
Lee Barnard almost intercepted a back header from Ash Taylor to Owain Fon Williams in the fifth minute but the Rovers keeper was quickly off his goal line to gather the ball. 
A cross from Charlie Daniels gave the home side a good chance on seven minutes but neither Marc Pugh nor Harry Arter could make contact and Tranmere survived the scare. 
Tranmere’s first chance was a volley from Jervis from McGurk’s free kick but former England international David James saved well at his back post. 
Fon Williams saved Lee Barnard's flick header from Pugh's cross on 27 minutes and the home side kept up the pressure with a succession of corners. 
Abdulai Bell-Baggie fired over the bar from outside the area on the half hour mark and the winger was caught with a couple of late challenges soon after. 
Though Bournemouth had dominated the possession for spells of the first half, Rovers took the lead on 39 minutes. Jake Cassidy crossed the ball in from the right and Jervis volleyed in first time, giving James no chance of a save. 
The Birmingham City loanee almost added a second four minutes later but his flick shot from close range went wide of the target. 
Bournemouth's Daniels fired a 25 yard free kick straight into the arms of Fon Williams in the second minute of first half injury time, allowing Rovers to take their lead into the break. 
The home side drew level on 51 minutes. After Taylor was adjudged to have fouled Pugh out wide, the midfielder curled in a free kick that went through the crowded area and past Fon Williams into the net, possibly via a touch off Ben Gibson. 
Fon Williams palmed away a Pugh shot on 56 minutes after Barnard did well to keep the ball in play but two minutes later the home side took the lead. Josh McQuoid's cross found Harry Arter and he controlled before firing beyond Fon Williams. 
Bournemouth substitute Matt Tubbs fired straight at Fon Williams on 67 minutes while Rovers captain James Wallace shot wide from distance soon after. 
However, the home side extended their advantge on 73 minutes. A free kick was rolled by Tubbs to Francis and the right back smashed a shot from 25 yards into the bottom corner. 
Paul Black replaced Jervis straight after the goal with Bakayogo moving further forward on the left and McGurk into attack, while a late foul on Bell-Baggie forced the winger out of the game, with Thompson replacing him on the right wing. 
Palmer's one on one shot was saved by James on 91 minutes though the midfielder was subsequently ruled offside and Cassidy's shot was saved by the keeper soon after. 

Bournemouth: James, Francis, Addison, Elphick, Daniels, Grabban (Tubbs 63), MacDonald, Arter (Partington 80), Pugh, Barnard, McQuoid (McDermott 86). Substitutes:  Fletcher, Cook, Jalal, O'Kane.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Gibson, Bakayogo, Bell-Baggie (Thompson 89), Wallace, Palmer, McGurk, Cassidy, Jervis (Black 73). Substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Harison, Power, Stockton.

Referee: David Phillips

Yellow cards: Francis (17), Arter (34), Bakayogo (45+1), Partington (87) 

    Latest Match Reports