Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:31 PM

Jake Cassidy's tenth goal of the season earned Rovers a 1-1 draw and a point against Preston North End. 
The striker fired in late in the game after Paul Huntington's header early in the second half put the visitors ahead. 
Rovers were far from their best at Prenton Park but Cassidy's strike kept them top of League 1.
Ronnie Moore made one change to the team that started against Doncaster with new loan signing Nathan Eccleston coming in for the injured Andy Robinson. Former Rovers players John Welsh, Steve Simonsen and Shane Sherriff all started for Preston. 
Preston spent the first few minutes of the game in the Rovers half but Jack King couldn't get on the end of a quickly taken free kick from Sherriff. 
A foul on James Wallace wide on the left wing gave Tranmere a free kick of their own on four minutes and after Preston half cleared Abdulai Bell-Baggie's cross a shot from Wallace was charged down. 
After Palmer shot was saved by Simonsen on 14 minutes, a right wing cross from Bell-Baggie hit the Preston bar and bounced away from goal six minutes later. 
A left foot cross from Danny Holmes had to be tipped away from the top left corner by Simonsen on 34 minutes while a Scott Laird chip over Owain Fon Williams at the opposite end two minutes later was cleared by Ash Taylor from inside the six yard box. 
A long range effort from Stuart Beavon was pushed away from the bottom left corner by Fon Williams on 38 minutes and a minute later Cassidy held up the ball inside the Preston area before poking a shot narrowly wide of goal. 
A Nicky Wroe header was cleared off the line by Wallace on 41 minutes, the final attempt on goal of the half. 
Fon Williams kept out Beavon's long range shot after the striker had turned past Taylor two minutes into the second half and the visitors kept up the pressure. Having earned a couple of corners in quick succession, the ball was punched clear by Fon Williams from the second but turned back into the area, against the Rovers bar and headed in by Paul Huntington from close range. 
The first change of the game saw Cole Stockton replace Adam McGurk for Rovers but before the youngster had got into the game the action was back in the Tranmere half, with Jeffrey Monakana curling inches past the left hand post from outside the area. 
Preston launched a quick counter attack on 70 minutes that should have led to them doubling their lead but King shot past the post when one on one with Fon Williams. 
Cassidy headed in from a Wallace cross on 74 minutes but the assistant referee was quick to raise his flag for offside and Rovers remained a goal down. 
Joe Thompson replaced Eccleston on 80 minutes for Rovers and the winger's cross led to a shot from Holmes a few minutes later but the right back's effort went wide of the target. 
However, Tranmere levelled with their next attempt. Wallace found the run of Cassidy with a superb crossfield pass and the striker found the net for the tenth time of the season with a low shot under the body of Simonsen from a tight angle. 
There were late half chances for Thompson and Stockton to steal a winner but neither were converted and the sides shared the points.  

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Gibson, Bakayogo, Bell-Baggie, Wallace, Palmer, McGurk (Stockton 61), Cassidy, Eccleston (Thompson 80). Substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Goodison, Black, Harrison. 

Preston: Simonsen, Keane, Laird, Huntington, Robertson, Sherriff, Wroe, Monakana (Byrom 79), Welsh, King, Beavon. Substitutes: Stuckmann, Amoo, Cummins, Sodje, Procter, Beardsley.

Referee: Phil Gibbs 

Yellow cards: Monakana (9), Cassidy (20), Keane (55), Welsh (90+1) 

    Latest Match Reports