Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:31 PM

A goalless draw at home to Walsall kept Rovers top of League 1.
Neither keeper was overly tested in a close match at Prenton Park on a night in which none of the top six picked up victories.
Ronnie Moore made two changes to the team that started against MK Dons with Cole Stockton and Danny Harrison coming into the side. James Wallace missed out through illness while Jake Jervis had returned to Birmingham City following the end of his loan spell. Former Rovers left back Andy Taylor and loanee Sam Mantom both started for the Saddlers.
After a cagey first ten minutes, Ash Taylor headed over from Adam McGurk's cross following a good passing move that earned the home side a corner.
The visitors should have taken the lead on 17 minutes. Fon Williams tried to pass to one of his defenders but gave the ball straight to Will Grigg. The Walsall striker raced into the Tranmere area but put his angled shot across goal and wide.
Walsall captain Dean Holden put the ball just past his own right hand post form close range on 22 minutes after keeper Aaron McCarey pushed Danny Holmes' cross straight into his path.
McCarey was involved again three minutes later, diving to his left to palm away Stockton's right foot shot after the youngster had turned past Nicky Featherstone on the edge of the area having received the ball from Andy Robinson.
After Grigg had curled past Fon Williams' right hand post on 32 minutes, Rovers responded with a shot from Jake Cassidy that missed to the left of the Walsall goal from 25 yards.
Grigg shot wide 25 yards after stealing the ball from Liam Palmer on 37 minutes and Jamie Paterson fired past the post from a similar distance soon after.
On 44 minutes Cassidy pressured Paul Downing as he looked to pass back to the keeper and the defender's clearance ended up hitting the Rovers striker and rebounding inches past of the right hand post.
Cassidy's header deflected off a defender early in the second half and Walsall quickly launched a counter attack with Febian Brandy racing clear up the left before his shot was touched wide by Fon Williams.
Paul Black replaced Stockton on 64 minutes, a change that meant a move forward for Zoumana Bakayogo to left midfield and Andy Robinson into attack.
Rovers picked up after the substitution. A couple of Black crosses caused some danger in the Walsall defence while Bakayogo opted to pass to Robinson when a shot was on only for the ball to be intercepted.
After Bakayogo headed wide from Cassidy's powerful cross, Jake Kirby was brought on in place of McGurk on the right wing.
Robinson turned a Black cross wide of the near post on 80 minutes while a long range effort from the former Swansea player was blocked by an opponent.
Rovers pressured late on but the visitors' defence dealt with everything thrown at them.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Gibson, Bakayogo, McGurk (Kirby 78), Harrison, Palmer (Power 86), Robinson, Cassidy, Stockton (Black 64). Substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Goodison, Eccleston.

Walsall: McCarey, Taundry, Holden, Featherstone, Grigg (Adam Chambers 89), Paterson, Hemmings (Baxendale 78), Brandy (Bowerman 78), Downing, Taylor, Mantom. Substitutes: Jones, Grof, Benning, James Chambers.

Referee: Jeremy Simpson

Yellow cards: Taylor (55), Brandy (69)

    Latest Match Reports