Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:31 PM

Jake Cassidy's 11th goal of the season earned Tranmere a 1-1 draw at Stevenage.
The striker headed in a cross from Adam McGurk to put Ronnie Moore's team ahead and on course for the victory but a late equaliser from the home side gave them a share of the points on a wet and windy afternoon at the Lamex Stadium.
There were three changes to the team that started against Walsall. James Wallace returned from illness to take the place of Danny Harrison, new loan signing Michael O'Halloran started up front instead of Cole Stockton and Ian Goodison took the place of the suspended Ash Taylor in the centre of defence for his first start of the season. It was also the first time a 40-year old had ever played for the Club. Former Rovers winger Lucas Akins started for Stevenage.
Rovers won a number of early free kicks but the wet surface made the ball skid along and passes were overhit.
Adam McGurk had the first shots of the game around the ten minute mark but both were blocked by home defenders, while a Jake Cassidy effort was blocked by Bondz N'Gala after the Rovers striker had taken the ball past Stevenage keeper Steve Arnold.
A foul on McGurk by Darius Charles on 25 minutes earned the Stevenage player a yellow card and Rovers a free kick. From the set piece, McGurk's shot was well held by Arnold.
Stevenage's first effort on target was a long range effort from Greg Tansey that forced Owain Fon Williams to turn around his post. The home side pressured from the resulting corner and maintained possession around the Rovers area for a couple of minutes but were unable to turn it into a clear chance on goal.
Liam Palmer almost capitalised on Arnold coming off his line on 35 minutes but though his shot beat the keeper, it lacked the pace to reach the goal and Mark Roberts was able to clear.
Ben Gibson cleared a dangerous Stevenage corner five minutes into the second half while a powerful cross from Cassidy was cut out by Arnold at the other end after good work from Zoumana Bakayogo.
On 59 minutes Rovers came close to taking the lead. O'Halloran held up play outside the area and after finding Robinson the former Swansea player curled a shot inches wide of the target.
Robinson fired high over the bar on 69 minutes after a break started by McGurk and McGurk had a go himself four minutes later but his effort hit N'Gala before being cleared.
Goodison almost had a dream first start of the season on 75 minutes when he rose to meet McGurk's corner but his header went inches wide of the target.
Rovers' pressure paid off on 78 minutes. Holmes did well to find McGurk and he played his way past a defender before whipping in a cross from which Cassidy headed in his 11th goal of the season.
After Fon Williams had done well to claim a tricky ball on his goal line which had zipped up off the pitch, Rovers replaced Robinson with Paul Black and pushed Zoumana Bakayogo further forward.
The home side should have levelled on 88 minutes. A mistake from Gibson gave Robin Shroot possession in front of goal but the substitute's shot hit the post before being cleared for a corner. Rovers couldn't clear the set piece but Akins' shot was wide of goal.
However, Stevenage did find a way through to goal in injury time, with Tansey looping a shot over Fon Williams from 25 yards to claim a share of the points.

Stevenage: Arnold, Gray, Roberts, N'Gala, Charles, Akins, Dunne (Shroot 81), Grant, Tansey, Morais (Freeman 22), Haber (Agyemang 73). Substitutes: Day, Hills, Rogers, Risser.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Goodison, Gibson, Bakayogo, McGurk, Wallace, Palmer, Robinson (Black 85), Cassidy, O'Halloran. Substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Daniels, Harrison, Power, Stockton.

Referee: James Adcock

Yellow cards: Charles (25) 

    Latest Match Reports