Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:31 PM

Tranmere kept hold of first place in League 1 with a goalless draw at Sheffield United. 
In a match of few chances on goal at either end, Ronnie Moore's side went closest to scoring through long range efforts from Max Power and Adam McGurk. 
Moore made one change to the team that started against Portsmouth with Power replacing Danny Harrison in the centre of midfield. The Manager also made an alteration to his formation, opting for 4-3-3 with  Andy Robinson in an advanced midfield role and Michael O'Halloran and McGurk playing either side of Jake Cassidy up front. 
Rovers started brightly but Liam Palmer was unable to make contact with Danny Holmes' right wing cross. 
The visitors kept up the pressure and a through ball from Power to Palmer drew a foul 30 yards from goal. Robinson took the free kick but his shot hit the wall and United cleared. 
The first chance of the game for the home side came on ten minutes. Robinson lost possession deep in the United half and the ball was quickly played out wide to Nick Blackman who cut inside Zoumana Bakayogo and Power before curling over the bar from 25 yards. 
A back pass from O'Halloran caused a moment of danger for Tranmere on 16 minutes. Fon Williams' first touch took the ball closer to the Blades' Shaun Miller than he would have liked but the Rovers keeper reacted quickly and was able to clear. 
The Welshman was in action again moments later, palming a long range effort from Tony McMahon wide of his right hand post. 
Palmer spotted George Long off his line on 28 minutes and tried a lob from 40 yards but his attempt was sliced high and wide of the target. 
On 33 minutes an overhead clearance from Goodison landed straight at the feet of O'Halloran and started another attack. A foul on Robinson gave Rovers another free kick 30 yards out and this time McGurk curled narrowly past the left hand post. 
Adam McGurk volleyed over from the edge of the area with his right foot early in the second half after Robinson's corner from the left had been half cleared while Cassidy's shot from a similar position deflected wide of the target on 57 minutes. 
A long range effort from Power whistled just past the top right corner on 72 minutes after McGurk's earlier shot had earned a corner via a deflection. 
After Cassidy had fired wide from 20 yards for Rovers, the home side went on the attack and went close to opening the scoring through Blackman but his six yard effort went over the bar. 
It proved to be the last attempt on goal of the game as Rovers left Bramall Lane with a point. 

Sheff Utd: Long, Maguire, Hill, Flynn, Doyle, Porter (Kitson 63), Blackman, Miller, Collins, McMahon, Williams (McAllister 74). Substitutes: Westlake, Cresswell, Cofie, McFadzean, Coyne. 

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Goodison, Bakayogo, McGurk, Power, Palmer, Robinson (Thompson 77), O'Halloran, Cassidy. Substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Black, Daniels, Harrison, Stockton.

Referee: Eddie Ilderton 

Yellow cards: McGurk (88) 

    Latest Match Reports