Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:31 PM

Tranmere came from behind to earn a 2-1 win over Crewe Alexandra on Boxing Day. 
Rovers trailed at half time to Brad Imnam's strike but goals from Adam McGurk and Max Power gave Ronnie Moore's side three points and kept them in second place in League 1. 
There was one change to the team that started at Swindon with Donervorn Daniels coming in for Ian Goodison in the centre of defence. 
Rain throughout the previous few days made conditions difficult but Rovers started brightly. Liam Palmer's through ball was cut out of the path of Michael O'Halloran while an Andy Robinson cross went past his team mates at the near post on four minutes. 
Zoumana Bakayogo sliced a shot wide of the target from 25 yards on 12 minutes after being found in space by Danny Holmes, but the visitors responded by taking the lead with their first attack. 
Daniels appeared to be nudged away from the ball as he tried to head a cross away from the area and it landed in the path of Brad Inman who fired first time past Owain Fon Williams into the top right corner from 12 yards. 
The Railwaymen had the ball in the Tranmere net for a second time on 18 minutes through Mathias Pogba but it was ruled out for a foul on Bakayogo by Lauri Della Valle. 
Rovers had a good chance to equalise on 23 minutes. A driven low cross from Robinson was spilled by Crewe keeper Steve Phillips straight into the path of Bakayogo but the left back's shot was dragged across goal and wide of the target. 
Tranmere kept pressing, with Robinson linking well with Bakayogo on the left wing before a cross had to be cut out of the path of Jake Cassidy at the near post. 
An outswinging Adam McGurk cross had to be cleared away from Daniels on 25 minutes while Cassidy fired wide on the turn from 25 yards 13 minutes later. And McGurk put the ball in the Crewe net on the stroke of half time but his shot was ruled out for offside against the player who supplied the cross to him, Bakayogo. 
Bakayogo raced on to a through ball from Max Power eight minutes into the second half but his powerful left foot strike was kept out by Phillips. 
On 58 minutes Rovers drew level. Bakayogo found Robinson on the left side of the area and the Tranmere captain jinked his way past a challenge before floating a cross to the back post where McGurk headed in for his third goal of the season. 
The home side almost took the lead a couple of minutes later. Power dropped his shoulder to move past a defender inside the area and found Palmer whose shot beat Phillips but rolled against the right hand post and back into the arms of the keeper. 
Rovers kept up the pressure and took the lead on 64 minutes. A corner won by O'Halloran went right through the six yard box and fell to Power on the far left side of the area. The young midfielder took a touch before lifting a curling shot over the crowd of players into the top right corner for his first goal at Prenton Park. 
On 72 minutes Taylor competed for a back post header with a defender and after neither was able to get a clean header, the ball fell to Taylor while he was on the floor. The centre back brilliantly caught the ball with both feet and slid it across to Palmer whose shot deflected over the bar.
Robinson cut inside from the short corner that followed and saw his low effort blocked while McGurk's floated cross was headed wide by Cassidy soon after. 
The visitors threw men forward late in the game but the closest they came was a long range strike from Murphy that Fon Williams palmed around his post. 

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Daniels, Bakayogo, McGurk, Power, Palmer, Robinson, Cassidy, O'Halloran. Substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Goodison, Black, Harrison, Thompson, Stockton. 

Crewe: Phillips, Tootle, Davis, Ellis, Dugdale, Murphy, Pogba (Moore 71), Robertson, Osman (Aneke 82), Dalla Valle (Clayton 71), Inman. Substitutes: Garratt,  Guthrie, Mellor, Colclough.

Referee: Paul Tierney 

Yellow cards: Bakayogo (65), Davis (90+3) 

    Latest Match Reports