Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:31 PM

Andy Robinson's ninth goal of the season gave Tranmere a 1-0 away win at Bury and took them to the 50 point mark.
The captain netted early in the second half after he had a penalty saved just minutes before half time.
The result meant Rovers started 2013 with a victory and stayed top of npower League 1.
Rovers were unchanged following the 1-0 win over Scunthorpe, with Michael O'Halloran fit to start after the illness that forced him off at half time against the Iron. Former Rovers winger Seb Carole was on the bench for Bury. 
An Andy Robinson curler from the left side of the area deflected just past the right hand post on five minutes whlie a long range effort from Gregg Wylde for the hosts took a touch off a defender and went behind for a corner soon after. 
On 14 minutes Bury quickly broke on the counter attack from a Tranmere corner and Hopper shot wide at the near post from Wylde's cross. 
Rovers responded with a long ball from the back that reached Michael O'Halloran inside the area but his effort from a tight angle went over the bar. 
Hopper sent a back post header wide on 20 minutes and Tom Soares shot over from 25 yards 11 minutes later. 
Adam McGurk tried his luck when a loose ball fell in his path wide on the right side of the Bury half on 34 minutes but his first time effort was well wide of the target. 
A curling shot from Bury's Wylde that missed the goal was sandwiched by a blocked Max Power volley from 18 yards and a low attempt from O'Halloran that was saved by Trevor Carson at his near post. 
Wylde fired goalwards from distance again on 38 minutes but missed the top left corner and six minutes later Rovers had a good chance to take the lead. A corner from the left was crossed in by Robinson and Donervorn Daniels went down under a challenge and a penalty was been awarded. However, captain Robinson's spot kick was saved by Carson to his left keeping the score level at half time. 
The first chance of the second half also fell to Robinson on 53 minutes but his shot from around 10 yards smashed against the Bury cross bar and he put the rebound over the top from a similar position. 
However, he made sure with his next opportunity. Rovers broke quickly through the Bury half and Robinson ran on to a pass from Liam Palmer, took the ball inside the area and fired into the right side of the net from 12 yards. 
A long distance free kick from Steven Schumacher skidded off the surface and into the arms of Owain Fon Williams. 
A free kick won for a foul on Max Power on the edge of the area was curled just past the post by McGurk on 72 minutes while Schumacher brought a save out of Fon Williams at the other end three minutes later with a shot on the turn.
Cole Stockton replaced McGurk with 13 minutes of normal time remaining and the striker won a free kick soon after from which Ash Taylor missed with a header.
Rovers' second change saw Joe Thompson come on for Robinson on 85 minutes while Bakayogo produced a good tackle to prevent Craig Jones from shooting late in the game.

Bury: Carson, Skarz, Worrall (Healy 84), Schumacher, Andrai Jones, Hopper, Doherty, Thompson, Banks-Landell, Soares (Carole 59), Wylde (Craig Jones 84). Substitutes: Sweeney, Hughes, Dibble. 

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Daniels, Bakayogo, McGurk (Stockton 77), Palmer, Power, Robinson (Thompson 85), Cassidy, O'Halloran. Substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Goodison, Black, Harrison.

Referee: Nigel Miller

Yellow cards: Daniels (75)

    Latest Match Reports