Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:31 PM

A debut goal from David Amoo and a Zoumana Bakayogo strike earned Tranmere a 2-0 home win over Crawley Town.
Both goals came in the first half as Rovers kept their hold of first place in npower League 1.
There was one change to the team that started at Derby with David Amoo making his debut up front in place of Cole Stockton. Both Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro and Abdulai Bell-Baggie returned from long term injuries to be named among the substitutes. Former Rovers midfielder Mike Jones started for Bury while Lateef Elford-Alliyu was on the bench for the Red Devils.
The first shot of the game came on nine minutes when Crawley's Gary Alexander fired high over Owain Fon Williams' goal from 25 yards after chesting down a high ball.
Billy Clarke sent a long range effort along the ground and into the arms of the Rovers keeper on 11 minutes, while Tranmere had a chance to open the scoring a minute later when Liam Palmer brought a save out of Paul Jones with a back post header from McGurk's cross when a pass to the unmarked Amoo might have been the better option.
Another shot from outside the area from Alexander was kept out by Fon Williams on 12 minutes and Max Power blocked an effort forom Clarke soon after.
On 18 minutes a through pass from Andy Robinson to Amoo allowed Rovers' new signing to stretch his leg for the first time and after knocking the ball past a defender he raced around the other side before sending a left foot shot wide of the target.
Amoo and Michael O'Halloran combined to create a chance for Power on 21 minutes but his shot from 20 yards went over the top right corner while a long range effort from Ash Taylor was comfortably saved by Jones seven minutes later.
Rovers opened the scoring on 31 minutes. A fantastic cross field ball from Robinson found Danny Holmes on the right wing and he played it back to Power. His first time cross fell perfectly on the head of Palmer at the back post and though his attempt was blocked, the ball fell to Amoo who side footed in from six yards for his first goal for the Club.
Crawley were almost back on level terms on 37 minutes. A powerful strike from Mike Jones bounced off the body of Fon Williams and straight into the path of Clarke but his first time shot deflected on to the post and out for a corner.
Rovers took full advantage of the lucky break two minutes later. Robinson found Zoumana Bakayogo on the overlap and his cross floated over Paul Jones, struck the right hand post, hit the keeper's body and rolled over the line.
Bakayogo tried to double his tally with a strike from a central position 20 yards out on 43 minutes but a deflection took the weight out of the shot and made it a comfortable save for Jones. 
Rovers were almost 3-0 up two minutes into the second half. After David Hunt had been booked for a foul on Robinson, the free kick was cleared as far as Ash Taylor on the edge of the area. He controlled with his chest before volleying over Paul Jones, with his shot crashing against the cross bar before bouncing just in front of the goal line and away.
Crawley responded with a long spell of pressure in the Tranmere half but they were unable to test Fon Williams beyond a couple of crosses he had to punch away from his six yard box.
Akpa Akpro made his long awaited comeback from injury on 67 minutes, replacing Robinson with O'Halloran moving out wide.
Amoo cut in from the right before curling over the bar on 76 minutes while Fon Williams saved from Clarke at the other end.
Power was close to killing the game off on 89 minutes when he ran on to a short corner move involving Palmer and O'Halloran but his low drive hit the side netting.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Daniels, Bakayogo, McGurk (Harrison 76), Palmer, Power, Robinson (Akpa Akpro 67), Amoo, O'Halloran. Substitutes: Mooney, Goodison, Black, Bell-Baggie, Stockton.

Crawley: Paul Jones, Sadler, Connolly, Clarke, Alexander, Simpson, Walsh, Hunt, Bulman (Sparrow 67), Adams (Elford-Alliyu 67), Mike Jones (Smith 76). Substitutes: Torres, Akinde, Cooper, Kuipers.

Referee: Lee Mason

Yellow cards: Hunt (46)

    Latest Match Reports