Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:31 PM

Goals from Andy Robinson and Adam McGurk gave Tranmere a 2-1 away win over Brentford. 
Rovers withstood late Brentford pressure to pick up three points and stay top top of League 1. 
Robinson had given Tranmere the lead towards the end of the first half from the penalty spot and though Brentford equalised shortly after half time, a superb solo goal from McGurk sealed the victory. 
As Rovers switched back to 4-4-2 there were two changes to the starting line-up from the game at Coventry as Adam McGurk and Andy Robinson came in for Danny Harrison and Michael O'Halloran. Former Rovers loanee Shaleum Logan started for the Bees.
In a fast paced start Rovers spent the first minute in the Bees half, with Danny Holmes and Max Power linking up on the right only for the final ball to David Amoo to be over hit straight to Brentford keeper Simon Moore. 
Brentford responded by winning a corner from which Clayton Donaldson headed straight at Owain Fon Williams but Tranmere were quickly back on the attack with Zoumana Bakayogo getting past Shaleum Logan on the overlap and picking out Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro only for his shot to be blocked by a defender. 
Fon Williams palmed Marcello Trotta's stinging 20 yard drive over the bar on eight minutes with Harry Forrester shooting wide from the resulting corner. 
Bakayogo released Akpa Akpro down the left wing on 13 minutes and the striker sped past Logan into the area before testing Moore with a low shot on the angle. 
Again Brentford reacted well with Toumani Diagouraga getting clear on the right and finding Donaldson who brought a good save out of Fon Williams with a first time right foot shot from 12 yards. 
Liam Palmer twisted and turned before drilling a low ball across the Brentford six yard box on 27 minutes and Moore had to react quickly to gather under pressure from Robinson. 
Rovers went ahead on 42 minutes. Jake Bidwell jumped to head clear on the halfway line but the ball bounced over his head and straight to Akpa Akpro behind him. The striker lifted the ball over another defender and raced towards goal. With Harlee Dean about to block his path to goal, the Frenchman nodded the ball into the path of Amoo who knocked the ball forward before being caught by Dean. Referee Darren Deadman pointed to the spot and Robinson sent Moore the wrong way for his tenth goal of the season and the half time lead. 
However, five minutes into the second half the Bees drew level. A free kick awarded against Palmer wide on the right was swung into the Rovers area and Dean headed in at the near post from close range. 
Max Power did well to clear a cross at the back post under pressure from Donaldson two minute later while Rovers were forced into a change on 65 minutes with Akpa Akpro picking up a knock and being replaced in attack by Cole Stockton. 
Tranmere regained the lead on 66 minutes. Robinson found McGurk wide on the right and he skipped between two defenders, ran towards goal and fired a low shot past Moore with his left foot from a tight angle. 
Brentford made a double change and began to pressure the Rovers goal. It needed well timed blocks from Power, Bakayogo and Daniels to deny Paul Hayes, Trotta and Forshaw, while Dean headed wide from a corner. 
Ronnie Moore introduced the fresh legs of Michael O'Halloran and Abdulai Bell-Baggie for McGurk and Robinson with less than ten minutes remaining while Fon Williams pulled off a fine save to keep out Sam Saunders' free kick on 89 minutes. 

Brentford: Moore, Forshaw, Craig, Dean, Douglas, Donaldson, Trotta, Logan (Hodson 45 HT), Forrester (Saunders 77), Diagouraga (Hayes 77), Bidwell. Substitutes: Lee, Barron, Reeves, Kiernan. 

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Daniels, Bakayogo, McGurk (O'Halloran 82), Palmer, Power, Robinson (Bell-Baggie 82), Amoo, Akpa Akpro (Stockton 65). Substitutes: Mooney, Goodison, Black, Harrison.

Referee: Darren Deadman

Yellow cards: Dean (42), Bakayogoo (57), Fon Williams (76), Douglas (76), McGurk (76), Bidwell (90+1), Power (90+3) 

    Latest Match Reports