Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:32 PM

Tranmere got back to winning ways with a 5-1 victory over Colchester United at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.
Rovers went ahead through Max Power early in the first half and though Magnus Okuonghae pulled a goal back for the home side, Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro restored the lead before half time.
Ash Taylor's second half header gave Tranmere breathing space, the fourth came from substitute Cole Stockton and Michael O'Halloran completed the scoring from the penalty spot.
Ronnie Moore made three changes to the side that started four days earlier against Swindon with Mamady Sidibe making his debut up front alongside the returning Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro, while Ian Goodison started at centre back.
Two early Andy Robinson crosses were cut out by Colchester keeper Sam Walker while Sidibe showed his aerial strength by winning a couple of headers against the home defence.
At the other end Ian Goodison produced a couple of important headers to end Colchester attacks and the veteran defender got in a block to prevent Jabo Ibehre from having a free run on goal from the halfway line.
Rovers opened the scoring in the 11th minute in spectacular fashion. A corner from Robinson was cleared as far as Max Power just outside the area and the midfielder sent a right foot volley through a crowd of players into the roof of the net.
Gavin Massey got behind Michael Kay on 17 minutes but his attempt at curling past Owain Fon Williams was saved by the keeper low to his left.
Sidibe and Akpa Akpro combined on 18 minutes with the former heading goalwards forcing Colchester to clear inside their six yard box.
A crossfield ball from Power hit Robinson in the face on 22 minutes allowing Colchester to break and Freddie Sears to shoot from the right side of the area, though his effort deflected wide of the target.
The home side equalised on 28 minutes. A free kick conceded by Sidibe deflected off the wall and straight to Magnus Okuognhae who fired past Fon Williams into the bottom left hand corner.
Akpa Akpro and Sidibe both won headers on 34 minutes with Robinson gaining possession as a result. The midfielder twisted and turned past Okuonghae before firing past the top left corner from 20 yards.
Paul Corry and Robinson combined on 35 minutes with the latter playing a through ball for Bakayogo who raced past Gavin Massey before shooting past the post when one on one with Walker.
Rovers retook the lead on 41 minutes. Taylor's right foot ball forward from inside his own half was allowed to bounce by Josh Thompson and Akpa Akpro took advantage to race between the defender and the keeper and hook the ball past Walker into an empty net.
Robinson curled a free kick straight at Walker from the left side of the Colchester half on 52 minutes while Massey fired over Fon Williams' goal at the other end.
Rovers extended their advantage on 65 minutes. After Sidibe won the ball from a free kick, Michael Kay kept the ball in play and his cross was headed in from six yards by Taylor.
Substitute Cole Stockton headed into the arms of Walker moments after replacing Sidibe and the striker repeated the effort a couple of minutes later from a Robinson corner.
Fon Williams saved Ibehre's downward back post header on 82 minutes and three minutes later Rovers sealed the win. Stockton turned on the edge of the area and fired in a right foot shot that beat Walker into the bottom left corner.
The scoring wasn't completed though. O'Halloran ran on to a ball over the top, rounded Walker and after trying to turn back towards goal he was brought down by Thompson. The Bolton Wanderers loanee took the penalty kick himself, sending Walker the wrong way to put Tranmere 5-1 up.

Colchester: Walker, David Wright (Bond 64), Okuonghae, Thompson, Garmston, White, Clifford (Morrison 75), Porter (Drey Wright 53), Sears, Ibehre, Massey. Substitutes: Cousins, Bean, Eastman, Wilson.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Kay, Taylor, Goodison, Bakayogo, O'Halloran, Power, Corry, Robinson (Black 81), Sidibe (Stockton 70), Akpa Akpro. Substitutes: Mooney, Holmes, Daniels, Harrison, Bell-Baggie.

Referee: Keith Stroud

Yellow cards: Corry (48)

    Latest Match Reports