Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:32 PM

A second half goal from Ed Upson gave Yeovil a 1-0 win over Tranmere at Huish Park on Saturday afternoon. 
Rovers' best chances came in the first half with Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro's shot saved by Marek Stech and Paul Corry narrowly missing the target. 
There were two changes to the team that started against Notts County as Andy Robinson and Michael Kay missed out with their places going to Mamady Sidibe and Danny Holmes. 
The home side started brightly and after Kevin Dawson had overhit a cross inside the Rovers area, Paddy Madden shot wide when one on one after getting past Zoumana Bakayogo. 
Tranmere had a chance on five minutes when Holmes picked out Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro inside the Glovers area but the striker failed to control the ball and Yeovil keeper Marek Stech gathered. 
On nine minutes Bakayogo was booked for a foul on Madden and Jamie McAllister curled a free kick from the edge of the area inches wide of the left hand post. 
The tempo of the game dropped and Rovers worked their way into the contest. On 22 minutes Paul Corry found Abdulai Bell-Baggie with a crossfield pass but the winger's cross was cut out by Byron Webster inside the six yard box. 
A deflected cross gave Fon Williams some difficulties on 25 minutes but the keeper pushed the ball away from his six yard box and Ash Taylor completed the clearance. 
Max Power fired towards the top left corner from a free kick on 33 minutes and his effort forced Marek Stech to concede a corner. Power took the set piece and combined well with Corry after it was cleared out wide but the latter's cross was cleared by Yeovil. 
Akpa Akpro turned on to a pass from Corry and found himself past the Yeovil defence on 36 minutes but his right foot shot across goal went over the bar. 
The French striker had another chance three minutes later when he ran on to a Bakayogo clearance that went over the Yeovil centre back but after taking the ball closer to goal, Stech saved his low shot with his feet. 
After Madden headed over from a Kevin Dawson cross on 42 minutes, Corry fired just past the post with his left foot from 25 yards. 
Sidibe's game came to a premature end two minutes from the interval when injury forced him to be replaced by Cole Stockton. 
The final chance of the half saw Madden play a one two with strike partner James Hayter but his low effort from 20 yards well saved by Fon Williams. 
Akpa Akpro brought a save out of Stech five minutes into the second half with a looping header while Fon Williams was called into action at the other end by Madden who twisted and turned his way past two challenges before shooting towards the top corner. 
On 56 minutes the home side took the lead. A free kick conceded by Holmes just outside the area gave Ed Upson a shooting opportunity and he curled the ball over the wall and into the bottom left corner past the dive of Fon Williams. 
After Hayter sent an overhead kick over the bar and Daniel Burn also missed the target Rovers made a double change, with Liam Palmer and David Amoo replacing Bell-Baggie and Michael O'Halloran. 
Yeovil almost extended their advantage on 71 minutes when Upson spotted Fon Williams off his line and tried to chip the Rovers keeper but his shot cannoned off the bar and away from goal. 
Stockton got behind Burn on 75 minutes but his attempt to knock the ball past Stech went wide of the target and Akpa Akpro headed over three minutes later from a Holmes cross, the final chance of the game for the visitors. 

Yeovil: Stech, Ayling, Webster, Burn, McAllister, Foley, Upson, Edwards, Dawson, Hayter, Madden. Substitutes: Hinds, Blizzard, Williams, Stewart, Young, Ralph, Fletcher. 

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Goodison, Bakayogo, O'Halloran (Amoo 64), Power, Corry, Bell-Baggie (Palmer 64), Akpa Akpro, Sidibe (Stockton 43). Substitutes: Mooney, Daniels, Black, Harrison.

Referee: Darren Sheldrake 

Yellow cards: Bakayogo (9), Holmes (55), Madden (74), Goodison (74), Amoo (80)

    Latest Match Reports