Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:32 PM

Tranmere's run of defeats at StadiumMK continued with a 3-0 loss against MK Dons.
Rovers went into the match having lost all four of their previous visits to the ground and after two first half goals for the home side that sequence never looked like ending.
There were three changes to the team that lost at Walsall as Paul Black, Danny Harrison and Ben Gibson all came into the starting line up in place of Abdulai Bell-Baggie, Michael O'Halloran and Ian Goodison.
On seven minutes Harrison almost handed Rovers the lead. A cross from Max Power was cleared by the Dons defence but only as far as the midfielder who volleyed inches past the left hand post from 25 yards.
However, a minute later the home side went ahead. A corner was cleared outside the Rovers area but Dean Bowditch curled in a superb strike that hit the Tranmere cross bar and rebounded straight to Dean Lewington who headed across Owain Fon Williams and into the far corner of the goal.
The game quickly settled into a pattern with MK Dons having most of the possession and Rovers looking to break on the counter attack.
On 30 minutes a Mamady Sidibe flick on from Danny Holmes' throw in landed invitingly for Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro and the striker hit the side netting with an overhead kick.
A minute later Sidibe dragged a shot wide with his left foot from 20 yards, while Fon Williams kept the deficit at one with a good save from Bowditch's angled strike soon after and the Dons were unable to take advantage of the corner that followed.
On 43 minutes Rovers had a great chance to level. A crossfield pass from Gibson was headed into the path of Liam Palmer by Akpa Akpro. Palmer crossed towards Sidibe who got in front of his marker in the six yard box but the striker didn't connect with his attempted header.
Moments later Rovers were punished. A through ball from Shaun Williams put Stephen Gleeson one on one with Fon Williams and the midfielder fired low and hard past the keeper into the bottom left corner.
Two minutes into the second half Chris Lines shot wide of the Tranmere goal from Adam Chicksen's cross and three minutes later a free kick gave them another shooting opportunity. Williams curled the ball against the bar and the loose ball was headed in from ten yards by Darren Potter to put the home side 3-0 up.
Sidibe sent an overhead kick wide of the target from Akpa Akpro's knock down on 54 minutes and a long range effort from Power went straight to McLoughlin soon after.
After Bell-Baggie replaced Harrison, Bakayogo headed straight at McLoughlin from a right wing cross.
Rovers should have reduced the deficit on 80 minutes. Akpa Akpro burst past a defender into the area and cut the ball back for Bakayogo but the Frenchman fired high over the bar from 12 yards out and was replaced by Cole Stockton soon after.
Ryan Lowe sent a 25 yard effort over the Tranmere goal on 88 minutes while Fon Williams saved Bowditch's late effort from a tight angle.
With the game in injury time there was a final chance for Rovers to score a first ever goal at StadiumMK but Power's 25 yard free kick went high over the bar.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Gibson, Black, Power, Harrison (Bell-Baggie 64), Palmer, Akpa Akpro, Sidibe, Bakayogo (Stockton 81). Substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Corry, O'Halloran, Amoo.

MK Dons: McLoughlin, Chicksen, Kay, Williams, Lewington (Otsemobor 64), Potter, Lines, Bamford (Baldock 71), Gleeson (McLeod 71), Bowditch, Lowe. Substitutes: Kouo-Doumbe, Smith.

Referee: Oliver Langford

Yellow cards: Kay (14)

    Latest Match Reports