Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:32 PM

Rovers defeated at Fratton Park

Tranmere's Easter weekend ended with defeat as a second half goal from David Connolly gave Portsmouth all three points at Fratton Park.
The 1-0 defeat was enough for Ronnie Moore's side to drop out of the top six in npower League 1 after Yeovil defeated Notts County to move into sixth.
Ronnie Moore named the same starting eleven and substitutes that featured against Sheffield United at Prenton Park five days earlier, with Sean McGinty making his second appearance at left back and Ben Gibson recovering from a knee injury to start in the centre of defence.
Gibson and McGinty cleared two early Portsmouth crosses while Max Power shot wide of goal from more than 30 yards after a good run through the middle of the pitch on seven minutes.
Jed Wallace missed the target from outside the Tranmere area on eight minutes and Gabor Gyepes headed over from a corner seven minutes later.
A cross from Abdulai Bell-Baggie looked set to dip under the crossbar on 18 minutes until Simon Eastwood tipped the ball behind for a corner.
Ash Taylor did well to clear a dangerous cross from Wallace inside the six yard box on 22 minutes and a minute later the defender was involved again, finding Bell-Baggie with a crossfield pass before the winger shot wide of the target.
Taylor blocked Johnny Ertl's header from Jack Maloney's cross on 28 minutes but he stumbled as he tried to cut out a cross ten minutes later, allowing Patrick Agyemang to head into the path of David Connolly who fired over Owain Fon Willams' goal from close range.
At the other end Bell-Baggie twisted and turned past two defenders before his cross was headed out of the path of Zoumana Bakayogo at the far post by Yassin Moutaouakil while the final chance of the half saw Agyemang miss the Rovers goal under pressure from Gibson.
Bakayogo was well placed to block two Gyepes shots early in the second half and after a Bell-Baggie effort went straight to Eastwood, the home side took the lead. Wallace's pass freed Moutaouakil out wide and his low cross from the right was turned in from close range by Connolly.
Fon Williams saved from Therry Racon on 64 minutes while Sidibe headed over an Akpa Akpro cross at the other end a minute later.
Portsmouth substitute Liam Walker missed from 25 yards on 76 minutes after Liam Palmer lost possession but Rovers quickly launched an attack of their own, with Taylor heading over from Power's corner.
Sidibe sent a header straight at Eastwood on 80 minutes and a Power shot was charged down by the Pompey defence.
Fon Williams did well to keep Rovers in the game on 87 minutes with a save from Ertl's powerful drive but at the opposite end his team mates couldn't take their chances as first Akpa Akpro saw a shot blocked and Power fired over from the rebound before Palmer headed a Danny Holmes cross over.
Portsmouth: Eastwood, Moutaouakil, Gyepes, Sodje (Rocha 81), Cooper, Wallace, Ertl, Racon, Maloney (Walker 72), Connolly, Agyemang (Akinde 78). Substitutes: Smith, Webster, Butler, Harris.
Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Gibson, McGinty, Bell-Baggie, Power, Palmer, Bakayogo (Stockton 61), Akpa Akpro, Sidibe. Substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Goodison, Harrison, McGurk, O'Halloran.
Referee: Dean Whitestone
Yellow cards: Gibson (49), McGinty (76)

    Latest Match Reports