Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:32 PM

A second half goal from Rob Jones gave Doncaster a 1-0 win over Tranmere at the Keepmoat Stadium. 
In a game of few real chances, the home captain fired in from close range following a set piece to seal the points. 
There was one change to the team that started at Portsmouth with Andy Robinson returning from injury to take the place of Mamady Sidibe in attack. Joe Thompson was named on the bench following his recall from his loan spell at Rochdale. 
After a high tempo start, the first chance of the game came for the hosts. A corner was cleared by Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro but crossed back into the Tranmere area from where Rob Jones directed a header into the arms of Owain Fon Williams. 
Doncaster keeper Gary Woods did well to claim Zoumana Bakayogo's tricky cross on seven minutes while Ash Taylor blocked a shot from David Cotterill at the other end soon after. 
Sean McGinty got his body in the way of Kyle Bennett's attempt on goal on 17 minutes and from the resulting corner Tranmere launched a counter attack. Robinson's crossfield ball found Abdulai Bell-Baggie and the winger cut inside Tommy Spurr but saw his 18-yard shot blocked by Jamie McCombe. 
Cotterill intercepted a stray pass from Robinson and raced through the Tranmere half on 21 minutes before shooting narrowly wide and the winger curled past the Tranmere post again moments before half time. 
At the other end a Robinson free kick was met by the head of Akpa Akpro but his effort flashed across goal and wide. 
The French striker also had the first chance of the second half after he chested down a pass from McGinty on the edge of the area and sent a left foot shot into the side netting. 
The home side took the lead on 63 minutes. A free kick for a foul on Chris Brown was curled in towards the back post and after Tranmere couldn't clear Doncaster captain Rob Jones fired into the roof of the net from close range. 
A double change for Tranmere saw Michael O'Halloran and Joe Thompson replace McGinty and Bell-Baggie on 74 minutes with Robinson moving to left  midfield and Bakayogo to left back. 
A Thompson flick on went through the six yard box and had to be cleared from the path of Bakayogo at the back post on 84 minutes. 
Ian Goodison came on as a striker on 90 minutes, replacing Power and adding height to the Rovers attack. 
The veteran pressured Jones into conceding a corner deep in injury time but Tranmere were unable to take advantage and went home empty handed. 

Doncaster: Woods, Griffin, McCombe, Jones, Spurr, Coppinger, Lundstram, Furman, Cotterill, Bennett (Paynter 69), Brown. Substitutes: Sullivan, Hume, Quinn, Husband, Wakefield, Howieson. 

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Gibson, McGinty (O'Halloran 74), Bell-Baggie (Thompson 74), Power (Goodison 90), Palmer, Bakayogo, Robinson, Akpa Akpro. Substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Harrison, Stockton.

Referee: David Coote

Yellow cards: McGinty (53), Taylor (63) 

    Latest Match Reports