Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:33 PM

Tranmere's goalless run was stretched to five games in a 1-0 defeat at Preston North End.
After both sides hit the woodwork in the first half, the home side took the lead against the run of play moments before the interval.
Rovers searched for an equaliser in the second half but they were unable to find a way past Declan Rudd.
There was one change to the team that started against Hartlepool with Michael O'Halloran replacing Abdulai Bell-Baggie on the right side of midfield. Former Tranmere players John Welsh and David Buchanan started for Preston.
The first two chances of the game came from Mamady Sidibe. The first, inside the first 60 seconds, was blocked for a corner and though there were nervy moments before the second a minute later when clearances from Zoumana Bakayogo and Liam Palmer were blocked, Rovers quickly regained possession and the on-loan striker fired wide from the edge of the area.
A through ball from Andy Robinson gave Sidibe another opportunity on six minutes and this time the Stoke City player brought a save out of Declan Rudd with a left foot shot along the ground.
Preston's first attempt on goal came on seven minutes and it needed the woodwork to keep out a curling free kick from Welsh, with the ball cannoning off the left hand post and away to safety.
On 14 minutes Robinson turned past Buchanan and his right wing cross was spilled by Rudd but with the ball falling just beyond the reach of Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro Rovers were able to clear.
Welsh went close from a free kick again on 29 minutes, curling a shot towards the top right corner but his effort was superbly tipped over the bar by Owain Fon Williams.
O'Halloran played a one two with Max Power outside the Preston area on 36 minutes but the Bolton loanee curled wide with the outside of his right foot after finding space 20 yards out.
Rovers were finishing the half well. On 38 minutes Sidibe headed a Liam Palmer cross towards the bottom left corner but his effort hit the post and rolled along the goal line before being cleared.
A minute later the striker guided a low cross from O'Halloran through the six yard box and Zoumana Bakayogo poked a shot wide at the back post.
In the first minute of injury time O'Halloran beat the offside trap to run on to a through ball but his left foot shot went across Rudd and wide of the target.
Before the referee blew his whistle there was time for one more attack and it put the hosts in front. Will Hayhurst raced clear into the left side of the area and his low cross was only cleared as far as Jeffrey Monakana who fired into the roof of the Tranmere net from 12 yards.
On 49 minutes Paul Huntington headed Hayhurst's free kick over the bar at the back post and six minutes later it needed a save from Fon Williams to keep out Garner's 25 yard shot and Jack King could only put the rebound straight into the keeper's hands.
Monakana sent a lob on to the roof of the Tranmere net after a good run from Hayhurst on 65 minutes while Robinson sent a 30 yard free kick into the arms of Rudd at the other end soon after.
Akpa Akpro ran on to Robinson's pass over the Preston defence on 70 minutes but the ball didn't run kindly for the striker and he had to turn before he could shoot and under pressure from Huntington he curled wide of the target.
After Preston substitute Lee Holmes curled wide from the edge of the Rovers area, Cole Stockton was introduced in place of Sidibe.
On 83 minutes a Robinson corner was cleared as far as substitute Bell-Baggie on the edge of the area and it needed King to throw his body in the way of the ball to keep his shot away from the goal.
Preston: Rudd, Huntington, Garner (Holmes 70), Connolly, Buchanan, Monkana (Keane 76), Welsh, Mousinho, King, Hayhurst (Byrom 86), Wright. Substitutes: Stuckmann, Cummins, Procter, Foster.
Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Gibson, Bakayogo, O'Halloran (Bell-Baggie 67), Power, Palmer, Robinson, Akpa Akpro, Sidibe (Stockton 79). Substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Goodison, Harrison, Thompson.
Referee: Carl Boyeson
Yellow cards: O'Halloran (34)

    Latest Match Reports