Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 24 Jun 12 at 15:33 PM

Tranmere's 2012-13 season ended with a hard fought 0-0 draw against Bournemouth at Prenton Park.

There were two changes to the side that started at Preston with Jason Mooney making his debut in goal in place of the injured Owain Fon Williams and Cole Stockton coming in for Michael O'Halloran.
Mooney was called into action for the first time on seven minutes and the keeper parried a shot from Harry Arter before reacting quickly to keep out Lewis Grabban's follow up effort and then punching clear as Brett Pitman's volley looped off Zoumana Bakayogo and into the air.
Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro cut inside from his left wing position and fired over the bar from 30 yards on 13 minutes and shot wide at the near post from a Max Power cross five minutes later.
On 23 minutes Arter raced through the Rovers defence ten minutes later, brushed off a challenge from Ben Gibson and shot narrowly wide from the edge of the area.
Max Power volleyed over the bar from 25 yards from Liam Palmer's lay off on 42 minutes while Ash Taylor timed his challenge well to end Grabban's run towards goal soon after.
After Stockton volleyed over from the left side of the area five minutes into the second half, Robinson fired wide of the target from 18 yards.
At the other end Ritchie dragged a shot across goal and wide and Holmes got his body in the way of a left foot effort from Arter.
The visitors raised the tempo and after Pitman sent a close range header straight into the arms of Mooney from an unmarked position Pugh fired into the side netting from outside the area.
Mooney parried a low 20 yard shot from Ritchie on 62 minutes and Bakayogo had to react quickly to clear before Pitman could pounce.
A double substitution saw Adam McGurk - on his comeback from injury - and Abdulai Bell-Baggie replace Mamady Sidibe and Robinson with 25 minutes remaining.
Akpa Akpro twisted his way past three players before shooting straight at Ryan Allsop on 67 minutes while Mooney pulled off a fine save to keep out Pitman's top corner bound effort ten minutes later.
Arter volleyed wide from outside the area in the first minute of injury time

Tranmere: Mooney, Holmes, Taylor, Gibson, Bakayogo, Robinson (Bell-Baggie 65), Power, Palmer (Harrison 79), Akpa Akpro, Stockton, Sidibe (McGurk 65). Substitutes: Ramsbottom, Goodison, Thompson, O'Halloran.

Bournemouth: Allsop, Cook, Elphick, Daniels, MacDonald (Hughes 74), Grabban (McQuoid 74), Pitman, Pugh, Arter, Francis, Ritchie (Fletcher 90). Substitutes: Jalal, Tubbs, Fogden, Seaborne.

Referee: Eddie Ilderton

Yellow cards:

    Latest Match Reports