Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 21 Sep 12 at 10:51 AM

Tranmere had a night to forget at Swindon as the Robins ran riot in a 5-0 win at the County Ground.
The defeat was only Rovers' second on the road in the league this season but wasn't in doubt after around half an hour by which time the home side were four goals up.
Ronnie Moore opted for an unchanged side from the goalless draw at Sheffield United with Andy Robinson again playing behind Jake Cassidy in attack.
The home side took the lead with the first attack of the game. After Owain Fon Williams had palmed Darren Ward's header away from goal following a corner, the Robins kept possession and the ball fell to Danny Hollands whose shot deflected past the Rovers keeper into the roof of the net. 
Rovers tried to level but Zoumana Bakayogo's header from a corner deflected over the bar and soon after Swindon were two up. Ian Goodison and Ash Taylor prevented Chris Martin from working his way into a shooting position but the ball reached Raffaele De Vita outside the area whose low effort took a touch off a defender and left Fon Williams with no chance of a save. 
Andy Williams tried to extend the advantage to three with a curling shot on the turn on 17 minutes but Fon Williams was well positioned to save.
Chris Martin ran in between Ian Goodison and Bakayogo on 19 minutes and it needed a good save from Fon Williams to keep the deficit at two when the striker fired in a low shot on the angle. 
However, the Welshman was unable to do anything about the home side's next effort soon after. The ball reached the unmarked Williams 12 yards out and he fired into the bottom left corner with his right foot. 
Swindon looked dangerous with each attack and it needed another strong pair of hands from Fon Williams to keep out Ritchie's stinging effort on 27 minutes and a shot from Williams two minutes later after the former Yeovil striker got behind Goodison. 
The fourth goal came on 33 minutes. De Vita got past Holmes on the right and played the ball to Williams whose well placed shot was excellently saved by Fon Williams. However, the ball fell straight to Ritchie ten yards out who drilled it into the right side of the net. 
Swindon kept up the pressure, with Ferry firing wide of the target from 25 yards and Power doing well to deny Williams a close range opportunity soon after, while Tranmere's first shot on target came in injury time, with Michael O'Halloran testing Wes Foderingham from a central position 25 yards out.
Rovers made a double change for the second half with Donervorn Daniels - making his Tranmere debut - and Michael Kay replacing Goodison and Holmes in defence.
Robinson sliced an effort wide of the target from 25 yards early in the second half while Fon Williams kept out Joe Devera's free header from a corner.
On 51 minutes the Robins stretched their lead to five. Liam Palmer lost possession in midfield and the ball was quickly played to Williams who sent a low right foot shot past Fon Williams and into the bottom left corner.
It could have been six on 62 minutes when the home side were awarded a penalty for a foul on De Vita inside the area. Williams stepped up to take the spot kick against the wishes of manager Paolo Di Canio and Fon Williams dived to his right to save. The Swindon manager showed his frustration at the situation by kicking a gate and punching his dugout. 
Town substitute Gary Roberts curled over the bar with his left foot on 79 minutes after cutting inside from the right wing while McGurk's long range attempt forced Foderingham to turn around his left hand post 12 minutes later.
The last chance of the game fell to Jake Cassidy in injury time but his shot deflected on to the bar and Swindon cleared the danger.

Swindon: Foderingham, Thompson, McCormack, Ward, Devera, Ritchie, Hollands, Ferry (Miller 54), De Vita (Roberts 65), Martin, Williams (Collins 72). Substitutes: Bedwell, Archibald-Henville, Roberts, Rooney, Bostock

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes (Kay 45 HT), Taylor, Goodison (Daniels 45 HT), Bakayogo (Black 90+2), O'Halloran, Palmer, Power, McGurk, Robinson, Cassidy. Substitutes: Mooney, Harrison, Thompson, Stockton.

Referee: Tony Bates 

Yellow cards:

    Latest Match Reports