Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 06 Nov 12 at 18:46 PM

Goals from Joe Thompson, Cole Stockton and Max Power earned Rovers a 3-0 win over Braintree Town in the FA Cup first round.
Thompson found the net in the first half and he was joined on the scoresheet by Stockton and Power after half time at the Amlin Stadium as Tranmere booked a second round home tie against Chesterfield. 
It was a solid performance from Rovers against the Blue Square Premier side and their third away win in a week.
Ronnie Moore made three changes to the team that started against Oldham as Andy Robinson, Danny Harrison and Cole Stockton replaced Adam McGurk, Liam Palmer and Jake Cassidy.
Braintree spent the first few minutes of the game in the Tranmere half and saw Danny Sparkes shoot wide of Owain Fon Williams' goal from 25 yards. The home side kept up the pressure with a header from Sean Marks that went over the bar.
Rovers captain James Wallace curled his side's first shot of the game wide of the top right corner after evading a challenge in the middle of the Braintree half, while Dan Holman dragged a shot past the post after taking the ball past Ash Taylor at the other end.
Rovers had a good chance to take the lead on 17 minutes. Stockton found Joe Thompson out wide and his cross was volleyed over at the back post by Harrison.
Though Holman curled wide of Fon Williams' left hand post on 21 minutes, Rovers were soon back on the attack. 
A left wing cross from Zoumana Bakayogo was volleyed by Stockton on the turn. Though his shot was well kept out by Braintree keeper Danny Naisbitt, Thompson was fastest to react to turn the ball in from close range.
Daley went close again two minutes later, racing in to a one on one chance with Fon Williams but his shot was weakly hit straight at the Rovers keeper.
A fine save from Naisbitt prevented Ronnie Moore's side from doubling their lead on 33 minutes. Thompson held off Habergham to race clear on the right wing, found Stockton with a cut back and his low shot was kept out by the feet of the keeper.
Braintree's Holman tested Fon Williams with a strike from the edge of the area on 34 minutes, with the Welshman gathering at the second attempt.
Rovers were forced into a change a minute before half time as goalscorer Thompson was replaced by Jake Kirby on the right side of midfield. 
Fon Williams claimed a dangerous cross from Kenny Davis five minutes into the second half but soon after Rovers doubled their lead. Bakayogo and Robinson combined on the left before the latter found Stockton outside the area. He turned a defender before drilling a low shot past Naisbitt into the bottom right corner for his third goal of the season.
Ian Goodison replaced the injured Taylor on 57 minutes for his first appearance of the season. The defender was soon involved in an accidental clash of heads that forced a blood covered Marks out of the game for Braintree.
Max Power was brought on in place of Wallace with 13 minutes of normal time remaining and the midfielder got on the end of a pass from Kirby soon after but his low shot from the edge of the area was blocked by a defender. 
Power's next chance brought the game's third and final goal. The midfielder ran on to a pass from Stockton and side footed into the bottom left corner from 15 yards for his first goal for the Club.

Braintree: Naisbitt, Wells (Bailey-Dennis 38), Paine, O'Connor, Habergham, Quinton, Sparkes, Mulley (Daley 29), Davis, Holman, Marks (Sheppard 68). Substitutes: McDonald, Peters, Symons, Dawkin.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor (Goodison 57), Gibson, Bakayogo, Thompson (Kirby 44), Wallace (Power 78), Harrison, Robinson, Jervis, Stockton. Substitutes: Mooney, Kay, McChrystal.

Referee: Dean Whitestone

    Latest Match Reports