Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 15 Nov 12 at 19:13 PM

Tranmere came from behind to book their place in the third round of the FA Cup with a 2-1 home victory over Chesterfield. 
Rovers trailed through Liam Cooper's close range strike but Cole Stockton equalised late in the first half before Adam McGurk scored the winner on 57 minutes. 
There were two changes to the side that started at Stevenage as Danny Harrison and Cole Stockton came in for Liam Palmer and Jake Cassidy, neither of whom were allowed to play by their parent clubs. Ian Goodison retained his place at the centre of defence to make his first appearance of the season at Prenton Park while Michael O'Halloran made his home debut. 
Chesterfield's Marc Richards sent the first shot of the game over the bar on seven minutes. 
Ronnie Moore was forced into an early change on 11 minutes. James Wallace gained possession inside his own area and went past two challenges before winning a 50-50 ball. However, the midfielder stayed down following the challenge and after a spell of treatment from physio Gregg Blundell he walked off the pitch and was replaced by Max Power. 
Rovers' first chance came on 25 minutes. Power picked up possession in the centre circle and immediately fired a through ball into the path of Stockton whose first time shot was kept out of the bottom left corner by Tommy Lee. 
Lee denied the Tranmere youngster again on 28 minutes. McGurk's cross reached Stockton on the edge of the six yard box and despite having three defenders between himself and the goal, he fired a low effort on the turn which the keeper saved with his legs at the near post. 
Three minutes later the visitors took the lead. After Fon Williams had saved Whitaker's shot from the edge of the area, the resulting corner was curled towards the near post by Luis Boa Morte. Harrison looked set to clear the ball but he missed his kick allowing Liam Cooper to poke the ball home from close range. 
Nathan Smith curled wide of the right hand post for the Spireites on 38 minutes and Rovers quickly broke forward from Fon Williams' goal kick. The ball reached O'Halloran whose header took him past the last defender but Lee was quickly off his line to save a low shot.  
Moments after receiving a booking, Cole Stockton levelled for Tranmere. Power did well to win the ball in midfield and find the striker who found the bottom right corner of the goal from 25 yards with a superb right foot strike. 
There was one more chance before the half time whistle but O'Halloran's left foot shot from the edge of the area went over Chesterfield's bar. 
Danny Holmes fired wide on 47 minutes after Chesterfield only half cleared an Adam McGurk corner and it took another 11 minutes for the next attempt on goal of the half. 
However, it proved a significant one. Andy Robinson released O'Halloran on the left wing and the pacy striker first cut back towards his own half before turning back into the Chesterfield area, beating his man and squaring a pass for McGurk to convert from six yards. 
Goodison cleared a dangerous cross on 72 minutes while O'Halloran couldn't quite work an opening for a shot at the other end two minutes later.
Joe Thompson made his comeback from injury to replace Robinson on 77 minutes, while Rovers thought they'd gone further ahead five minutes later but a back post header from a corner was ruled to have not crossed the line by the referee and his assistant.
On 84 minutes Ben Gibson threw his body in the way of a shot from Richards, while Cooper flashed an attempt narrowly wide of the target in the first minute of injury time after Stockton had a long range shot saved by Lee.
Chesterfield threw all 11 players forward for a couple of late set pieces but Rovers defended strongly and held on for the win. 

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Goodison, Gibson, Bakayogo, McGurk, Wallace (Power 11), Harrison, Robinson (Thompson 77), Stockton, O'Halloran. Substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Taylor, Daniels, Black. 

Chesterfield: Lee, Talbot, Smith, Hird, Cooper, Darikwa, Clay (Randall 62), Togwell, Boa Morte, Whitaker (Lester 62), Richards. Substitutes: O'Donnell, Forbes, Townsend, Boden, Wafula. 

Referee: Andy Madley 

Yellow cards: Stockton (41), Boa Morte (54), Darikwa (64), Gibson (65), Goodison (70), Hird (76), Fon Williams (86) 

    Latest Match Reports