Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 05 Dec 12 at 19:17 PM

Tranmere's FA Cup campaign came to an end with a 5-0 defeat at Derby County. 
The Championship side took the lead shortly before half time and added four more goals in the second half to book their place in Sunday's draw. 
There was one change to the side that started on New Year's Day against Derby County as Cole Stockton came into the starting line-up after Jake Cassidy had returned to Wolves. Former Rovers defender Gareth Roberts started at left back for the Rams. 
Ash Taylor headed an Andy Robinson corner wide of goal in the third minute while Ben Davies brought a save out of Owain Fon Williams soon after with a shot from 15 yards. 
Max Power tested Adam Legzdins with a shot from outside the area after stealing the ball from Richard Keogh. 
At the other end Ash Taylor did well to clear the ball before Davies could get on the end of Conor Sammon's step over and Sammon was ruled offside when he ran through to a one on one with Fon Williams. 
Keogh headed wide from a John Brayford corner on 25 minutes and three minutes later the home side were awarded an indirect free kick inside the Tranmere area after Owain Fon Williams picked up what was ruled to be a back pass. However, Michael Jacobs' shot following a lay off from Paul Coutts was charged down by Adam McGurk. 
Keogh missed with two headers in the space of four minutes from set pieces but two minutes before half time the Rams took the lead. A shot from Coutts crept under the body of Fon Williams and Davies reacted fastest to turn the ball in at the back post. 
Davies tried to double his tally moments before the half time whistle but his shot from distance was wide of the target. 
The Rams' first attack of the second half saw them double their lead. Rovers failed to clear a ball into the box on 54 minutes and Sammon turned before firing into the left side of the goal from 12 yards. 
Stockton came close to reducing the deficit with a shot from 18 yards after cutting in from the left wing on 55 minutes but his effort went narrowly over the bar. 
On 63 minutes Fon Williams palmed Jacobs' long range effort around his post for a corner, with the hosts adding their third from the set piece. Zoumana Bakayogo missed his attempt at clearing the ball allowing John Brayford to convert from close range. 
Fon Williams comfortably dealt with Jeff Hendrick's 20 yard right foot shot on 65 minutes but the keeper could do nothing about the midfielder's next effort, a shot from the edge of the area that went straight into the bottom left corner to take the score to 4-0. 
After Paul Black had replaced Andy Robinson on 73 minutes, Bakayogo fired high over the bar from a McGurk corner. 
McGurk curled high and wide from outside the area on 81 minutes and again four minutes later following a long passing move throughout the Derby half. 
Substitute Mason Bennett added the fifth three minutes from time with a great strike from outside the area that flew into the bottom left corner. 

Derby: Legzdins, Brayford, Keogh, O'Brien, Roberts, (Freeman 74) Coutts (Doyle 79), Hughes, Hendrick, Davies (Bennett 85), Jacobs, Sammon. Substitutes: Fielding, O'Connor, Freeman, Robinson, Tyson.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Daniels, Bakayogo, McGurk, Palmer, Power, Robinson (Black 73), O'Halloran, Stockton. Substitutes: Mooney, Kay, Goodison, Harrison, Kirby, Thompson.

Referee: Mark Halsey

    Latest Match Reports