Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 31 Jan 13 at 14:19 PM

Second half goals from James Collins and Gary Roberts (2) gave Swindon a 3-1 win at Prenton Park. 
With first place in League 1 up at stake it was the visitors who had the better chances throughout and they took a two goal lead but Donervorn Daniels' goal late in the second half made for a lively finish as Rovers pressed for an equaliser. However, Roberts' second deep in injury time sealed the victory for the visitors. 
There were three changes to the team that started against Shrewsbury with Liam Palmer missing out through suspension and Danny Holmes and Adam McGurk ruled out with injuries. Coming into the side were Paul Corry, Michael Kay and David Amoo. 
Owain Fon Williams saved a low 20 yard shot from James Collins in the sixth minute while Corry fired over the bar from wide on the right side of the area for Rovers soon after. 
Fon Williams saved at his near post from Collins on 13 minutes after the striker powered his way past Ash Taylor and Corry had to clear from inside his own six yard box after Roberts' cross from the right hit the legs of Taylor and fell loose in front of goal. 
A long range effort from Andy Robinson went over Wes Foderingham's goal on 16 minutes while Michael O'Halloran wasn't close enough to capitalise on a moment of uncertainty from the Swindon defence over a high ball from Zoumana Bakayogo. 
Miles Storey missed a good chance to put the visitors ahead on 19 minutes when a shot from outside the area took a deflection and stopped dead eight yards out. The young striker was fastest to react but with Fon Williams racing off his line he poked his shot wide of the right hand post. 
Another opportunity fell Swindon's way a few minutes later following a mix up between Donervorn Daniels and Fon Williams. The pair left the ball for each other and Collins took up possession, knocked the ball past the Rovers keeper but sent his effort wide of the target. 
Fon Williams pulled off a fine diving save to keep out Collins' left foot shot after the striker turned past Daniels in the right side of the Rovers area on 31 minutes and the keeper needed a spot of treatment soon after for a knock picked up at a Swindon corner. 
Bakayogo volleyed well wide of goal on 41 minutes following a Rovers corner and Stockton showed some of the power in his right foot with a long range effort that just whistled over the bar. 
Collins nodded past the near post from an Alan McCormack cross while Stockton sent a header wide of the Swindon goal from an unmarked position eight yards out. 
Fon Williams saved Swindon substitute Andy Williams' close range shot early in the second half but the visitors took the lead on 48 minutes. Fon Williams raced off his line to try to get to the ball before Collins on 48 minutes but the lively forward got their first and stroke a low shot past the keeper into an empty net from the edge of the area. 
Swindon had the ball in the Tranmere net a second time ten minutes later when Gary Roberts turned in after Fon Williams had saved from Collins but the goal was ruled out for offside. 
Williams muscled his way past Daniels on 63 minutes but shot wide from a tight angle. 
Abdulai Bell-Baggie and Paul Black replaced David Amoo and Stockton on 64 minutes with Bakayogo moving forward to left wing and Robinson up front alongside O'Halloran. 
After Bakayogo had a shot charged down from a Kay cross, the visitors doubled their lead in spectacular fashion. De Vita's pass forward was headed into the path of winger Roberts and he unleashed a fierce drive from the right side of the area into the top left corner giving Fon Williams no chance of a save. 
On 78 minutes Rovers pulled a goal back. A foul on Robinson by Swindon substitute Alan Navarro gave Tranmere a free kick and Power's ball into the box landed at the feet of Daniels who side footed past Foderingham for his first goal for the Club. 
After penalty appeals were turned down when Bakayogo went down inside the area as he tried to meet Bell-Baggie's cross, Swindon counter attacked and were denied a third when Fon Williams kept out Collins' shot with his chest. 
Bell-Baggie raced clear in the Swindon area on 89 minutes but his cross was overhit. 
A dramatic final few minutes saw Swindon almost add a third when Black failed to notice Fon Williams had gone up for a corner and passed the ball back towards an empty Rovers goal. Power raced back and tried to let the ball go out for a corner only for it to hit the post before he was able to clear. 
Then, after Taylor's header was cleared off the Swindon goal line, Fon Williams was spotted off his line by Roberts who sent a shot from inside his own half over the Rovers keeper and into the Tranmere net. 

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Kay, Taylor, Daniels, Bakayogo, Amoo (Bell-Baggie 64), Power, Corry, Robinson, Stockton (Black 64), O'Halloran. Substitutes: Mooney, Goodison, Harrison, Thompson, Kirby.

Swindon: Foderingham, McEveley, Flint, (Navarro 75), Collins, Roberts, McCormack, Miller, Storey (Williams 25), Ward, De Vita (Thompson 81). Substitutes: Bedwell, Rooney, Smith, Williams. 

Referee: Chris Sarginson

Yellow cards: McEveley (80) 

    Latest Match Reports