Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 11:22 AM

Tranmere booked a place in the second round of the Capital One Cup with a 2-0 victory over Mansfield Town on Tuesday night.
First half goals from Andy Robinson and Chris Atkinson earned Rovers the win at Prenton Park and a place in Thursday's draw.
Ronnie Moore made two changes to the side that lost at Walsall with James Rowe and Joe Thompson replacing Max Power and Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro. Rowe had been due to replace Atkinson but Power withdrew from the team before kick off due to illness. Former Rovers players Paul Black and Jamie McGuire missed out for the Stags.
Rovers got off to the perfect start. After Joe Thompson had won a throw in on the right in the first minute, Ryan Lowe flicked the throw goalwards and Andy Robinson sent a six yard header across goalkeeper Alan Marriott and into the left side of the net for his second goal of the season.
Rowe lost possession inside his own half on six minutes and gave Sam Clucas the chance to bring Owain Fon Williams into action and the Rovers keeper was forced to save again a minute later from James Jennings' 25 yard shot along the ground.
Ash Taylor sent a close range header wide of the back post from Robinson's 13th minute corner and Atkinson brought a decent save out of Marriott from 25 yards 13 minutes later after playing a one two with Rowe midway inside the Mansfield half.
Rovers ended the half the same way they started it, with a goal. Atkinson picked up possession midway inside the Mansfield half and found Robinson on the edge of the area. He turned away from his marker and picked out the run of Atkinson into the area and the Huddersfield Town loanee controlled the ball before firing a left foot shot into the top left corner from 12 yards.
After Thompson and Lowe failed to make the most of a goalmouth scramble in the Mansfield area early in the second half Fon Williams was called into action at the other end. Jennings cut past the challenges of Robinson and Rowe but fired his shot straight at the Tranmere keeper.
The visitors had two good chances to pull a goal back just after the hour mark. Clucas knocked the ball past Fon Williams on 61 minutes but too far wide of goal to shoot. He squared for the onrushing Louis Briscoe but his first time effort went a couple of yards wide of the target.
A minute later Lindon Meikle got in front of Danny Holmes at the back post to meet a right wing cross but his volley was well saved by Fon Williams.
Jason Koumas replaced Rowe on 63 minutes and Akpa Akpro came on for Akpo Sodje nine minutes later.
Lowe's cross for Akpa Akpro was cut out by Marriott on 75 minutes and the keeper saved from Robinson ten minutes later after the Rovers winger cut in from the left.
Appeals for handball and a penalty were turned down as the game went into injury time after a shot from Akpa Akpro struck a defender ten yards from goal, the final chance of the game.
Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Foster, Horwood, Thompson, Atkinson, Rowe (Koumas 63), Robinson, Lowe, Sodje (Akpa Akpro 72). Unused substitutes: Mooney, Goodison, Kirby, Baggie, Stockton.
Mansfield: Marriott, Meikle, Jennings, Murray, Dempster, McCombe (Sutton 45HT), Briscoe (Speight 74), Howell, Clucas, Beevers, Palmer (Rhead 79). Unused substitutes: Stevenson, Daniel, Clements, Dyer.
Referee: David Webb
Yellow cards: Jennings (80)

    Latest Match Reports