Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 11:22 AM

Tranmere suffered an afternoon to forget at Prenton Park, losing 5-0 against Peterborough United and finshing the game with ten men.
Andrai Jones' red card meant it was the second Saturday in a row in which Rovers had played more than half the game a man down. The sending off came with the visitors already 2-0 up and they added the third moments later from the penalty spot.
The impressive visitors scored their fourth and fifth after half time and spent most of the match in possession.
There were two changes to the team that started the previous game at Crewe as Andrai Jones made his first start at Prenton Park in place of the suspended Danny Holmes and Abdulai Baggie replaced the injured Joe Thompson.
An third minute cross from Baggie almost gave Lowe a chance on goal but the ball was just over the head of the striker, while Peterborough quickly had an opportunity of their own but Tyrone Barnett shot wide following a goalmouth scramble.
On eight minutes a headed clearance from Stephen Foster went straight to Lee Tomlin 25 yards out and with Owain Fon Williams off his line there was a moment of concern for home fans. However, the midfielder's attempt at lobbing the keeper went wide of the target.
The visitors took the lead on 14 minutes. A clearance from Foster was charged down by Tomlin and Britt Assombalonga picked up possession inside the Rovers area, squared a pass to Tommy Rowe and he fired into the top left corner from 12 yards.
Rovers had a chance to level on 21 minutes. Under pressure from Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro Posh keeper Bobby Olejnik miss hit his clearance straight to Lowe. The striker controlled and went past one challenge into the area but shot over the goal as Olejnik ran back towards an empty net.
On 25 minutes Max Power found Andy Robinson on the left wing and his cross reached Akpa Akpro ten yards out. The striker fired goalwards only to see his shot blocked. The ball landed back at his feet but his second attempt was saved by Olejnik in the middle of his goal.
Rowe timed his run well to meet the long ball of Grant McCann inside the Tranmere area on 29 minutes but his pass to Assombalonga was cut out by Fon Williams on the edge of his six yard box.
Four minutes later Peterborough doubled their lead. Michael Bostwick ran towards the Rovers area and beat the challenge of Chris Atkinson before slipping a pass between Ash Taylor and Andrai Jones to Tyrone Barnett who fired across Fon Williams and into the bottom right corner.
Rovers' day got even worse on 38 minutes. The referee pointed to the penalty spot after Andrai Jones pulled Barnett down as he raced on to a long ball before sending the defender off. Fon Williams guessed the right way as McCann took the spot kick but the shot was powerful enough to beat the Tranmere keeper and put Peterborough three goals up.
Ian Goodison replaced Foster for the start of the second half, his first appearance of the season.
Taylor headed a Robinson corner wide six minutes into the half while Tomlin missed the target at the other end from 25 yards soon after.
A through ball from Tomlin gave Barnett another chance on 54 minutes but his shot was hit straight at Fon Williams. However, four minutes later Peterborough scored their fourth. A free kick conceded by Lowe was sent behind the Rovers back four and Assombalonga tapped in from close range.
The fifth came on 68 minutes, with substitute Mark Little cutting into the area and finding the bottom left corner with an angled drive from the right side of the box.
McCann curled an 83rd minute free kick just past the right hand post from 35 yards and the midfielder saw another attempt saved by Fon Williams three minutes later.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Jones, Taylor, Foster (Goodison 45 HT), Horwood, Baggie (Koumas 40), Power, Atkinson, Robinson, Lowe (Stockton 64), Akpa Akpro. Unused substitutes: Mooney, Rowe, Kirby.

Peterborough: Olejnik, Alcock, Nthle (Little 63), Zakuani, Bostwick, Assombalonga, Tomlin (Mendez-Laing 74), McCann, Rowe, Kearns (Swanson 70), Barnett. Unused substitutes: Day, Knight-Percival, Payne, Gordon.

Referee: Jeremy Simpson

Yellow cards: Atkinson (7), Power (49), Lowe (58)

Red card: Jones (38)

    Latest Match Reports