Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 11:23 AM

Tranmere left Meadow Lane empty handed this afternoon, after a goal in each half earned Notts County their first win of the season.
Joss Labadie, once of Rovers, and Marcus Haber were on target to condemn Rovers to a disappointing defeat.
The closest Ronnie Moore’s men came was when Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro headed against the crossbar, but it was an afternoon they’ll want to forget quickly. 
Moore made one change to the side that faced Brentford last weekend, with new signing Tom Hateley coming in to replace Danny Holmes for his debut.
However, it was the hosts who did most of the early running and Danny Haynes fired over the first effort of the game on five minutes.
Moments later Rovers conceded early for the second week on the run. Alan Sheehan’s deep cross was headed back across goal for Labadie to knock in from close range.
Sheehan next time went for goal himself. Hateley failed to clear and the County left-back headed over the bar, before Haynes’ shot would also ended up in the stand.
A lack of communication at the back for the visitors then allowed Jack Grealish to scamper clear for County, but he dragged his shot wide.
Rovers’ first attempt came after 34 minutes when Apka Akpro shot wide on the turn.
The visitors were starting to find their feet, and two minutes later Max Power surged forward, but his well hit strike was held by Bartosz Bialkoswki in the home goal.
As the half approached the end Evan Horwood swung in a free-kick which Akpa Akrpo met, but his header was straight at Bialkowski, and with that went the last chance of the half.
After the break Notts County threatened first, Grealish, who was a handful all afternoon, cut in from the left and fired over. 
Moments later Rovers were let off the hook again, Labadie was sent clear and his effort was palmed into the air by Owain Fon Williams, and ricocheted off the outside of the post and away to safety. 
Next, Mustapha Dumbuya broke down the right, but his weak shot went straight into Fon Williams’ hands.
Within ten minutes of the second half Moore made a double change, Joe Thompson and James Rowe were replaced by Abdulai Baggie and Cole Stockton.
Baggie, seconds after coming on, was instantly involved as he crossed for Akpa Akpro to volley over.
After 73 minutes Rovers came within inches of equalising, Power’s deep cross was headed onto the crossbar by Akpa Akpro.
However, Rovers pressed the self-destruct button with around ten minutes left.
Fon Williams threw the ball straight to Grealish, and although the Welshman thwarted his effort, he could do nothing when the ball was returned to the box and substitute Haber was on hand to bundle home County’s second. 
Tranmere’s luck was compounded when Hateley took a tumble on the edge of the box, but was cautioned for diving.
Notts County now looked comfortable, as Sheehan whistled a drive into the side netting.
At the other end Power shot well wide of the target, but the game was over as a contest by that point, as Dugdale cleared off the line, with Haber ready to pounce.
As the game ticked away the hosts played the clock down, and ensured they would win for the first time this season, leaving Rovers empty handed.

Notts County: Bialkowski, Dumbuya, Sheehan, Liddle, Leacock, Fotheringham, Boucaud (Tempest 85), Grealish, McGregor (Bell 65), Labadie, Haynes (Haber 65). Unused substitutes: Spiess, Smith, Thompson, Arquin.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Hateley, Dugdale, Goodison, Horwood, Thompson (Stockton 55), Power, Atkinson, Rowe (Baggie 55), Lowe, Akpa Akpro. Unused ubstitutes: Mooney, Holmes, Taylor, Sodje, Davies. 

Referee: Seb Stockbridge

Yellow cards: Rowe (5), Labadie (62), Leacock (67), Hateley (81)

by Mark Ridgway

    Latest Match Reports