Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 11:24 AM

A late Ryan Lowe penalty earned Tranmere a point against Rotherham United at the New York Stadium.
The striker found the net from the spot with five minutes of normal time remaining after Kieran Agard's strike had given the Millers a second half lead. 
Moore made one change to the team that started against Leyton Orient as new signing Steve Jennings came into the team in place of the suspended Ian Goodison. The switch meant a move to centre back for Jim McNulty with Liam Ridehalgh moving to left back, Jake Kirby to left midfield and Max Power to right midfield. 
The Millers kicked off and almost took the lead before Rovers had touched the ball. A high ball from the back was knocked down by Tom Eaves and Ben Pringle's 25 yard effort was tipped away from the top corner by Owain Fon Williams. 
The home side dominated the early stages. Daniel Nardiello's 18 yard shot hit McNulty and rolled away from goal on nine minutes and the striker had another chance to open the scoring three minutes later, only to head Pringle's cross wide at the far post.
Fon Williams collected Agard's long range shot at the second attempt on 15 minutes and was called into action twice more in quick succession, palming 25 yard shots from rob Milsom and Craig Morgan away from goal. 
Agard struck the Tranmere side netting with a low strike from 25 yards on 21 minutes as the pressure from Steve Evans' side continued. 
Rovers' first real attack came on 25 minutes. Kirby took advantage of a defensive error to gain possession on the left and cut inside Richard Brindley, but his cross was headed away from Max Power at the back post. 
Jennings headed a Tom Eaves effort off the goal line from a corner in the 27th minute and nine minutes later Pringle shot across goal and wide after Hateley had lost possession on the right. 
After Holmes won possession inside the Rotherham half on 38 minutes, the defender found Power on the right and he twisted and turned before picking out Jennings at the near post but the midfielder headed wide of the target. 
Eaves turned past McNulty before bringing a save out of Fon Williams with a low strike from 30 yards on 42 minutes and a minute later Taylor deflected a Nardiello effort wide of the target, the last effort of the half. 
Pringle sent a 25 yard shot over Fon Williams' goal three minutes into the second half while Power shot wide at the other end on 53 minutes after turning inside the area following a Chris Atkinson corner.
Fon Williams turned Nardiello's shot around his near post on 59 minutes but soon after the home side took the lead. Penalty appeals for handball by Danny Holmes were turned down but from the corner that followed the ball was eventually played into the Tranmere area by Pringle and Kieran Agard turned before shooting into the bottom left corner from 12 yards. 
Rovers introduced Abdulai Baggie and Cole Stockton in place of Hateley and Jennings and soon after Stockton hit the side netting from close range after good work from Lowe. 
It was the other substitute, Baggie, who helped get Tranmere back in the game. Running on to a pass from Stockton following Danny Holmes' throw in, Baggie was brought down by Joe Skarz inside the area and referee Tony Harrington pointed to the penalty spot. After making sure the spot was flat, Lowe sent Collin the wrong way to equalise. 
The home side were almost ahead on 88 minutes but substitute Matt Tubbs fired inches past the left hand post from the edge of the area after good work from the impressive Pringle.
Lowe's shot from a tight angle went straight through the Rotherham six yard box on 93 minutes while Baggie knocked the ball past Collin a minute later but his second touch took the ball out of play. 

Rotherham: Collin, Brindley, Morgan, Mills, Skarz, Milsom, Bradley, Agard, Pringle, Nardiello (Tubbs 77), Eaves (Revell 68). Unused substitutes: Shearer, Tidser, Rowe. 

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, McNulty, Ridehalgh, Power, Jennings (Stockton 68), Hateley (Baggie 61), Atkinson (Rowe 90+1), Kirby, Lowe. Unused substitutes: Watkins, Horwood, Koumas, Sodje.

Referee: Tony Harrington

Yellow cards: Stockton (69), Milsom (79)

    Latest Match Reports