Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 11:24 AM

Ryan Lowe's fifth and sixth goals of the season and a James Rowe strike earned Tranmere a 3-2 home win over MK Dons.
Lowe put Rovers ahead early in the match only for the visitors to move into the lead after half time. 
However, a Lowe penalty and Rowe's strike gave Ronnie Moore's side their first home league win of the season.
Moore made one change to the team that started at Rotherham with Abdulai Baggie replacing Steve Jennings.
Though the visitors dominated the early possession, Rovers took the lead with the first shot of the game in the seventh minute. A long ball forward from Ash Taylor was headed backwards by Dons defender Shaun Williams but without the power to take it to his keeper. Ryan Lowe was quick to react and with Ian McLoughlin racing off his line, the striker lobbed the keeper to score against his former club.
A foul on Chris Atkinson gave Tranmere another shooting opportunity on nine minutes but Max Power's curling free kick from 25 yards out went past the top right corner. 
Atkinson and Power combined down the left to set up a shooting chance for Jake Kirby on 14 minutes and the young midfielder's low strike took a deflection and rolled just past the right hand post. From the corner that followed the ball fell to Ash Taylor but he couldn't bring it under control fast enough to shoot and the Dons cleared. 
Dean Lewington brought a good one handed save out of Owain Fon Williams on 19 minutes, with the keeper diving to his left and tipping the long range effort around the post.
On 22 minutes Danny Holmes picked out Baggie's run into the area from a throw in and the winger hit the side netting with his first time shot, while it needed a well timed challenge from Jim McNulty to block Patrick Bamford's shot after the striker had run on to Luke Chadwick's headed pass. 
A long ball from Holmes released Lowe down the right wing on 28 minutes and with Atkinson racing into the area the striker tried to pick his team mate out but his cross was cleared by Williams. 
Chadwick headed over from Jon Otsemobor on 31 minutes, moments before Holmes had to be replaced by Jennings after picking up an injury. The change meant a switch to right back for Tom Hateley. 
The visitors equalised on 39 minutes. Daniel Powell picked up possession on the right wing, ran at the Rovers back four and sent a low right foot shot into the bottom left corner from just outside the area. 
Bamford and Jason Banton both missed the target from outside the area as the Dons pressed for a second goal before half time, while Kirby cleared off the line from a corner. 
Four minutes into the second half MK Dons took the lead. Banton picked up possession on the left wing, cut inside and curled past Fon Williams and into the right side of the goal from 25 yards. 
After Fon Williams had kept out Ben Reeves' dipping long range shot on 52 minutes, a Kirby effort deflected over the MK Dons goal for a corner from which McNulty volleyed over the bar. 
McNulty was involved again on 65 minutes. The defender was in the Dons' penalty area for a free kick and as substitute James Rowe whipped the ball in, he was brought down by Jordan Spence and referee Steve Rushton pointed to the penalty spot. For the second time in four days Lowe stepped up for the spot kick and though McLoughlin dived the right way the striker's shot had enough power to hit the net and bring Rovers level. 
Karl Robinson's side should have restored their lead two minutes later. Bamford ran behind McNulty and Taylor to reach a ball over the top, turned and with just Fon Williams to beat from eight yards he side footed past the post. 
Lowe ran on to a pass from Taylor before firing over the bar from outside the area on 73 minutes before a long spell of Dons pressure began during which Darren Potter fired wide of the target. 
However, on 85 minutes Tranmere took the lead. Horwood and Atkinson combined on the left and the latter's cross reached Kirby at the back post and from his cut back Rowe shot into the bottom left in for his first goal for the Club. 
The visitors piled forward in the dying minutes in search of an equaliser but Rovers held on for all three points.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes (Jennings 32), Taylor, McNulty, Ridehalgh, Baggie (Horwood 74), Power, Hateley (Rowe 45 HT), Atkinson, Kirby, Lowe. Substitutes: Watkins, Koumas, Stockton, Sodje.

MK Dons: McLoughlin, Otsemobor, Lewington, Williams, Potter, Chadwick (McLeod 78), Reeves (Carruthers 82), Bamford, Powell, Banton, Spence. Substitutes: Flanagan, Hodson, Smith, Baldock, Burns. 

Referee: Steve Rushton

Yellow cards: Spence (66), Horwood (90+2)

    Latest Match Reports