Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 11:24 AM

Liam Ridehalgh's first goal for the Club earned Rovers a 1-1 draw at home to Bristol City. 
The defender struck late in the first half to cancel out Sam Baldock's opener for the Robins.
Rovers were much improved after half time but couldn't find the all-important second goal. 
Ronnie Moore made two changes to the side that started against Accrington Stanley. With Owain Fon Williams away on international duty Jason Mooney made his third appearance in goal, while Max Power returned from suspension to take the place of Tom Hateley in the centre of midfield. First year youth scholar Luke Pilling was named as a substitute for the first time. 
After a slow start to the game, City took the lead with the first shot from either side in the 13th minute. A free kick inside the visitors' half was quickly launched down the pitch and Sam Baldock got behind the Rovers back four and fired across Mooney and into the bottom right corner from a tight angle. 
The goal did little to change the tempo, with both teams giving away possession and struggling to create an opening. On 31 minutes Jay Emmanuel-Thomas got into the left side of the Rovers area but his shot went high and wide of the target. 
Tranmere's first shot came in the 37th minute, but Chris Atkinson's powerful strike following Jason Koumas' free kick hit a Bristol City body before being cleared. 
The next effort brought an equaliser. Danny Holmes' cross from the right wing was flicked into the path of Jake Kirby at the back post. He played the ball back to Liam Ridehalgh who was racing towards the area and his first time left foot shot hit the leg of Aden Flint on its way into the bottom right corner.
As the game went into first half injury time, Mooney pulled off two saves to keep the score level. The first saw the keeper dive low to his left to palm away a free kick and moments later he kept out a swerving effort from Simon Gillett.
After Kirby had just failed to make a strong enough contact with Ridehalgh's left wing cross on 52 minutes, Atkinson sent a right shot wide of the target from outside the area. 
On 57 minutes a counter attack saw Koumas play in Lowe but his left foot shot was sliced wide of goal. The ball was kept in play by Kirby and he quickly found Koumas whose shot was charged down. 
Abdulai Baggie headed wide from a Power cross on 67 minutes and a Koumas free kick was well saved by Elliott Parish five minutes later. 
Substitute Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro found Atkinson from a Koumas corner on 84 minutes but his hooked shot was cleared off the line. The visitors raced into a counter attack and it needed a strong pair of hands from Mooney to keep out Baldock's drive before Marlon Pack's shot was charged down by Power. 
Koumas hit the wall from a 25 yard free kick on 90 minutes but the ball rebounded straight to the midfielder and from his cross into the area McNulty's header was saved by Parish as it hit the crossbar.
The final chance of the match saw Ridehalgh shoot over the bar from 25 yards in the fifth minute of added time.

Tranmere: Mooney, Holmes, Taylor, McNulty, Ridehalgh, Baggie (Akpa Akpro 79), Atkinson, Power, Koumas, Kirby, Lowe. Unused substitutes: Pilling, Goodison, Horwood, Hateley, Rowe, Sodje. 

Bristol City: Parish, Moloney, Flint, Cunningham, Osbourne, Cunningham, Shorey, Gillett (Elliott 68), Pack, Reid (Taylor 90+1+, Baldock, Emmanuel-Thomas. Unused substitutes: Harewood, Fielding, Brundle, Wynter, McLaughlin.

Referee: Kevin Wright

Yellow cards: Taylor (45)

    Latest Match Reports