Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 11:25 AM

A stunning hat-trick from Ryan Lowe helped Tranmere to a 5-1 win over Coventry City at Sixfields. 
The striker's eighth, ninth and tenth goals of the season, Jake Kirby's first for the Club and a superb strike from James Wallace on his return from injury gave Rovers a deserved three points and their third away success of 2013-14. 
Lowe's first two efforts, which came either side of Kirby's goal in the first half, were fine goals, but he saved the best for last with a sensational lob early in the second half. 
The home side pulled a goal back from the penalty spot and though Rovers were reduced to ten men, they added a fifth late on through Wallace. 
Ronnie Moore made two changes to the team that drew against Bristol City. Owain Fon Williams returned from international duty to take the place of Jason Mooney in goal while Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro replaced Abdulai Baggie. James Wallace's inclusion as a substitute was the midfielder's first involvement in the squad following almost 12 months out injured. 
Rovers took the lead with the game's first attack in the fourth minute. Jason Koumas picked up possession on the halfway line and ran at the Coventry defence before sliding a pass through for Ryan Lowe. The striker controlled the ball and side stepped a defender before coolly lifting the ball over Joe Murphy and into the net. 
It should have been a goal apiece in the seventh minute. Jim McNulty and Liam Ridehalgh lost possession on the left allowing Callum Wilson to get beyond the defence and run towards goal. However, his first shot was saved by Fon Williams at the near post and his follow up effort from the rebound hit the side netting. 
Leon Clarke headed into the side netting at the back post from a Cyrus Christie cross on 14 minutes and the home side had another fantastic chance five minutes later, with Wilson out-muscling Taylor to get one on one only for Fon Williams to palm his low shot away.
Akpa Akpro almost had a one on one opportunity at the other end on 31 minutes when he chested a cross field pass from Max Power but Christie pulled off a fantastic blocking challenge to protect his keeper.
Rovers doubled their lead on 37 minutes. John Fleck couldn't bring a pass from Carl Baker under control and the ball ran free inside the Coventry half with Jake Kirby fastest to react. The winger ran towards goal, went past Andy Webster and though Murphy was able to get a hand to his shot, the effort had enough power on it to hit the back of the net for his first goal for the Club.
And two became three on 43 minutes. Holmes had possession on the right, played the ball back to Power and he lifted it over the defence to meet the run of Lowe. The striker looked for an onrushing team mate but opted for the shot and lobbed the ball over Murphy and into the net from a tight angle. 
Eight minutes into the second half Lowe completed his hat-trick in spectacular fashion. The ball fell to the striker 30 yards from goal wide on the left and he controlled, spotted Murphy off his line and lifted a shot high into the air, over the keeper and into the far corner of the goal before celebrating with the Tranmere fans.
Wilson was inches away from getting Coventry on the scoresheet but his right foot shot from the edge of the area went just past the post on 55 minutes.  
At the other end Koumas had a chance to put Rovers five goals up but his shot from a Kirby cross went over the bar. Moments later Atkinson flicked a header wide from a Holmes cross and Akpa Akpro beat two men wide on the left before firing wide from 25 yards. 
Ridehalgh did well to end Fleck's run towards goal on 71 minutes, while Akpa Akpro had a shot blocked by Christie at the other end. 
On 75 minutes Coventry were awarded a penalty. Holmes went down under a challenge from Wilson and made contact with the ball with his arm and referee Darren Deadman pointed straight to the spot. Fon Williams got a hand to Carl Baker's spot kick but the power in the shot took it into the goal to make the score 1-4. 
Three minutes later Rovers were reduced to ten men. Ash Taylor volleyed the ball clear inside his own half but his follow through took his foot into the face of Franck Moussa and the defender was immediately shown a red card. 
Despite the man disadvantage, Ronnie Moore's side extended their lead. Substitute Wallace picked up possession just inside the Coventry half, ran at the defence and fired past Murphy from 25 yards before being mobbed by his team mates. 

Coventry: Murphy, Webster, Christie (Phillips 55), Barton (Daniels 50), Adams, Fleck, Jordan Clarke, Baker, Leon Clarke, Wilson, Moussa. Substitutes: Haynes, Phillips, Garner, Maund, Baker-Richardson, Burge. 

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, McNulty, Ridehalgh, Kirby, Power (Horwood 80), Koumas (Wallace 71), Atkinson, Akpa Akpro, Lowe (Sodje 87). Substitutes: Mooney, Hateley, Rowe, Baggie.

Referee: Darrren Deadman

Yellow cards: Webster (63), Holmes (75)

Red card: Taylor (78)

    Latest Match Reports