Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 11:25 AM

Tranmere's six game unbeaten run came to an end with a 2-0 defeat at Wolves on Tuesday night. 
First half goals from Leigh Griffiths and Dave Edwards put the hosts well in control and gave them the victory they deserved for a dominant performance at Molineux. 
Ronnie Moore made one forced change to the team that beat Coventry City 5-1 as the suspended Ash Taylor was replaced by Ian Goodison, the first time a 41 year old had played for the Club.
Owain Fon Williams comfortably saved Kevin Doyle's first minute shot while Michael Jacobs weaved his way past Goodison on six minutes only for Chris Atkinson to clear. 
A Leigh Griffiths header from Bakary Sako's seventh minute corner landed on the roof of the Tranmere net and another Jacobs shot from outside the area went wide of the target on 16 minutes. 
Wolves' early pressure paid off on 17 minutes. Griffiths picked up possession midway inside the Rovers half and though Fon Williams looked to have his 30 yard shot dealt with, the ball hit the keeper's body and rolled over it into the net. 
Akpa Akpro headed over Tranmere's first chance of the game on 30 minutes from a Jason Koumas corner but the action was quickly back at the other end with Doyle flicking a header over from a corner and Sako firing wide from the edge of the area. 
A Griffiths header deflected wide on 42 minutes and from the resulting corner the home side doubled their lead. Sako, who had been lively all half, provided the cross from the right and Dave Edwards headed across Fon Williams and in at the far post. 
James Wallace replaced Max Power at the start of the second half while former Rovers loanee Jake Cassidy came on for Griffiths.
It was Cassidy who had the first chance of the second half but after getting past the Tranmere defence the striker fired wide from 12 yards.
Akpa Akpro shot across goal and wide on 53 minutes while a Doyle effort deflected into the Rovers side netting five minutes later. 
Akpo Sodje and Abdulai Baggie replaced Jason Koumas and Jake Kirby on 68 minutes in a final throw of the dice for Tranmere but the changes couldn't stop Wolves from controlling the game.
There were further chances for Sako and Doyle from wide angles but Fon Williams kept both out while Rovers couldn't capitalise on a late free kick 30 yards out. 

Wolves: Ikeme, Ricketts, Batth, Stearman, Golbourne, Jacobs (Price 86), Edwards, McDonald, Sako (Ismail 90), Doyle, Griffiths (Cassidy 45 HT). Unused substitutes: McCarey, Doherty, Ebanks-Landell, Sigurdarson.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Goodison, McNulty, Ridehalgh, Kirby (Baggie 68), Power (Wallace 45 HT), Koumas (Sodje 68), Atkinson, Akpa Akpro, Lowe. Unused substitutes: Mooney, Horwood, Hateley, Rowe.

Referee: Graham Scott

Yellow cards: Wallace (82), Sodje (82)

    Latest Match Reports