Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 11:26 AM

Cole Stockton's second league goal of the season saw Rovers come from behind to earn a 1-1 draw against Walsall.
Rovers conceded early in the first half but substitute Stockton equalised with a powerful strike midway through the second half. 
Ronnie Moore made two changes to the team that started against Wolves. New loan signing Matthew Kennedy started on the right wing with Kris Peterson having returned to Liverpool while James Rowe replaced the suspended James Wallace in midfield. 
It took until the ninth minute for the first shot of the game. Despite Walsall enjoying the majority of the early possession the chance came in the Saddlers' half, with the ball dropping kindly for Rowe only for his strike from 25 yards to be blocked by a defender. 
Ash Taylor got his foot in the way of an effort from Romaine Sawyers on ten minutes and Craig Westcarr fired wide of the target from the rebound. 
A ball over the back four from Craig Westcarr put Sawyers through on goal on 13 minutes but Stephen Arthurworrey was quickly back to block his attempt on goal. 
The Saddlers took the lead on 19 minutes. Liam Ridehalgh lost possession inside the Walsall half and the ball was quickly played to Milan Lalkovic who cut infield from the left wing and curled into the bottom right corner from 25 yards. 
Craig Westcarr had a chance to make it two moments later when he ran on to a through ball but Owain Fon Williams dived to his left to save and Arthurworrey cleared the danger.
At the other end a foul on Andy Robinson gave the midfielder a shooting chance from a free kick but his low, powerful effort, took a deflection and went past the far post. 
Fon Williams saved Hemmings' 20 yard strike on 29 minutes while Lowe's 25 yard first time shot three minutes later at the opposite end hit a defender. 
Kennedy tried to mark his debut with a goal with a long range strike 40 minutes but his shot went high over the bar as Walsall took their one goal lead into the break. 
Lowe brought a save out of Richard O'Donnell four minutes into the second half after cutting in from the right side of the penalty area, while Robinson fired a few yards wide from outside the area two minutes later after holding off a challenge from Sam Mantom.
Koumas hit the wall from a 20 yard free kick on 62 minutes, three minutes before he was replaced by Cole Stockton and Jake Kirby came on for Robinson.
Former Rovers left back Andy Taylor fired into the side netting from Lalkovic's lay off on 73 minutes and Lalkovic curled wide two minutes later from 20 yards. 
Kennedy tested O'Donnell with a left foot strike from the edge of the area on 76 minutes and a couple of minutes later Rovers drew level. Kirby cut inside a defender on the left and found Stockton who controlled, turned, cut across a defender and fired into the bottom right corner. 
The striker tried to get a second on 80 minutes with a speculative effort from wide on the left but a Walsall defender reacted quickly to head clear. 
Rovers pressed for a winner late on but they were unable to create a clear opening and had to settle for a point. 

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Pennington, Taylor, Arthurworrey, Ridehalgh, Kennedy (Akpa Akpro 90+3), Rowe, Jennings, Koumas (Stockton 65), Robinson (Kirby 65), Lowe. Substitutes: Mooney, Holmes, Horwood, Power. 

Walsall: O'Donnell, Taylor, Butler, Adam Chambers, Mantom, Lalkovic (Baxendale 89), Westcarr (Hewitt 93), Hemmings (Gray 65), Downing, James Chambers, Sawyers. Substitutes: Purkiss, Featherstone, Lewis, Benning.

Referee: Andy Haines

Yellow cards: Andy Taylor (39), James Chambers (60), Lalkovic (67)

    Latest Match Reports