Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 11:26 AM

Tranmere's run of defeats against Peterborough continued with a 3-0 loss at London Road. 
Rovers conceded early on from the penalty spot but were denied an equaliser by the woodwork straight after half time.
The home side added their second midway through the second half and the third late on to seal their victory over Rovers in 2013-14.
Ronnie Moore made one change to the team that drew against Walsall as Jake Kirby replaced Andy Robinson on the wing. With Danny Holmes injured, Callum Morris was named among the substitutes. 
After a scrappy opening few minutes the home side were awarded a penalty. With the ball sticking to the heavy playing surface the ball went under the feet of Steve Jennings and to Britt Assombalonga who went down under a challenge 15 yards from goal. The striker picked himself up to take the spot kick and sent Fon Williams the wrong way to put Peterborough into an early lead.
The Rovers keeper comfortably saved a low shot from Assombalonga on 11 minutes while the visitors' first chance came six minutes later. A foul on Matthew Kennedy gave Jason Koumas a shooting chance from a free kick to the left of the Posh area and though his effort was blocked, Rovers were quickly back on the attack and Lowe's cross from the right of the area was just out of reach of Kennedy.
Fon Williams saved from Ajose after the striker cut inside past Kirby on 21 minutes and Knight-Percival fired over from close range following a free kick five minutes later.
A long range shot from Liam Ridehalgh was blocked by Jack Payne on 41 minutes, the last chance of the half.
Ridehalgh was replaced by Evan Horwood for the second half and the left back's early cross found Kennedy who beat his man inside the area and drilled a low shot against the left hand post, with the ball rebounding straight into the arms of Joe Day.
A minute later Ash Taylor headed wide from a Koumas corner as Rovers continued their strong start to the half. At the other end it needed a well timed interception from Stephen Arthurworrey to deny Assombalonga a shot on goal and Horwood did well to clear a dangerous cross from Ajose on 56 minutes.
Fon Williams tipped a Swanson free kick over the bar on 69 minutes, moments after Max Power had replaced James Rowe in the Tranmere midfield.
Peterborough had the ball in the net a second time on 72 minutes when Shaun Brisley headed in at the back post from a corner but referee Gavin Ward immediately blew his whistle and gave Rovers a free kick for a foul by the defender.
However, soon after the did get their second. Arthurworrey headed a corner clear of the area but it was played straight back in and Ajose flicked the ball past Fon Williams from close range.
After Kennedy had hit the legs of Day with an angled shot the home side added their third. A quick counter attack saw the ball played to Assombalonga in space inside the area and the striker side footed past Fon Williams from ten yards. 

Peterborough: Day, little, Bostwick (Ntlhe 45 HT), Brisley, Knight-Percival, Payne, Rowe (McCann 56), Anderson (Vassell 89), Swanson, Ajose, Assombalonga. Substitutes: Olejnik, Newell, Ephraim, Jeffers.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Pennington, Taylor, Arthurworrey, Ridehalgh (Horwood 45 HT), Kirby, Koumas (Stockton 75), Jennings, Rowe (Power 67), Kennedy, Lowe. Substitutes: Mooney, Morris, Baggie, Akpa Akpro. 

Referee: Gavin Ward

Yellow cards: Jennings (23), Pennington (69), Arthurworrey (76)

    Latest Match Reports