Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 11:27 AM

A late, late goal from MK Dons old boy Ryan Lowe earned Tranmere a 1-0 win against MK Dons.
The striker finished from close range to earn Ronnie Moore's side a 2013-14 league double over the Dons and their first ever win at stadiummk.
There were two changes to the team that started against Rotherham as Jason Koumas and Liam Ridehalgh replaced Jake Kirby and Evan Horwood. 
Owain Fon Williams had to pull off a diving save in the fifth minute to keep out Ben Reeves' 20 yard strike and the keeper easily claimed a corner soon after.
Rovers' first chance came on nine minutes when Matthew Kennedy won possession on the halfway line and quickly played the ball to Koumas. He spread play further wide to James Wallace but his 25 yard shot went wide of the target.
Matthew Pennington went past Dean Bowditch and whipped in a dangerous cross that his team mates couldn't take advantage of on 13 minutes while Daniel Powell fired across goal and wide from a tight angle at the other end after being played in by Reeves.
Reeves, who looked dangerous in the early stages, sent another shot past the right hand post from 20 yards on 16 minutes and he played a ball over Stephen Arthurworrey to Powell on 22 minutes but the striker couldn't find a way past Fon Williams from close range.
James Wallace beat two men before his left foot shot was blocked by Jordan Spence, while Lowe's right wing cross was missed by former Rovers defender Antony Kay but Spence cleared before Cassidy could take advantage.
Fon Williams kept out another long range Reeves strike on 25 minutes and had to race off his line to put pressure on Powell three minutes later after he ran behind the Rovers defence, with the home forward sending his attempted lob over the bar.
Ash Taylor headed over from a Jason Koumas free kick on 40 minutes and Kennedy fired against the legs of a defender after a long run through the middle of the pitch.
The home side pressed late in the first half and Fon Williams had to save from Powell and then keep out Kay's close range header to keep the game goalless. 
Rovers started the second half brightly. Dons keeper David Martin had to save a long range Koumas free kick underneath his bar on 48 minutes and soon after he had to first keep out Pennington's strike from a Koumas corner and then save from Kennedy at his near post.
The home side responded well, forcing Fon Williams to save from Carruthers twice while Reeves curled high and wide. Carruthers missed by the narrowest of margins on 66 minutes with a long range strike after Pennington had blocked an effort from Reeves following a left sided corner.
A Ridehalgh clearance sparked a Rovers counter attack on 70 minutes with Cassidy turning his marker before finding Kennedy on the halfway line. The winger ran at the MK Dons back four before shooting goalwards but his effort lacked the power to trouble Martin. It was Kennedy's last involvement with the Everton loanee replaced by Jake Kirby moments later.
Martin dropped a Lowe cross but reacted quickly enough to gather before Cassidy or Wallace could take advantage on 77 minutes, while Taylor had to be alert to clear from his six yard box at the other end seven minutes later after Izale McLeod had headed past Fon Williams.
With the sides looking set to share the points, Tranmere struck the winning blow. A corner from Koumas was cleared back as far as the midfielder who found Jennings. He spotted the run of Cassidy and his low ball across the six yard box was turned in by Lowe at the far post.
The home side pushed for a late equaliser, but the Rovers defence held out for a vital three points.

MK Dons: Martin, Hodson, Kay, Spence, Lewington, Potter, Gleeson, Bowditch (Alli 59), Reeves, Carruthers, Powell (McLeod 71). Substitutes: McLoughlin, Flanagan, Chadwick, Smith, Baldock.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Pennington, Taylor, Arthurworrey, Ridehalgh, Kennedy (Kirby 71), Wallace, Jennings, Koumas, Lowe, Cassidy. Substitutes: Mooney, Holmes, Goodison, Power, Robinson, Stockton.

Referee: Mark Haywood

Yellow cards:

    Latest Match Reports