Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 11:27 AM

Strikes from Ryan Lowe and Jake Kirby plus a Conor Thomas own goal earned Tranmere a 3-1 home win over Coventry City.
It was an impressive performance from Rovers who took the lead from the penalty spot through Lowe early in the first half. The own goal came soon after half time and Kirby added the third midway through the second half. 
Though Coventry pulled a goal back late on Tranmere had already done enough for their fourth home win of the season.
John McMahon named an unchanged team from the 2-2 draw at Bristol City, with James Wallace, Jason Koumas and Steve Jennings again teaming up in the centre of midfield.
Stephen Arthurworrey was denied his first goal for the Club in the seventh minute by a fantastic save from former Rovers keeper Joe Murphy. The centre back rose highest at the back post to head a Jason Koumas free kick towards the top left corner but Murphy reached out a hand and tipped the shot away from goal.
However, four minutest later Tranmere went ahead. Ryan Lowe found Matthew Pennington on the right and the full back raced past one challenge and cut into the area where he was brought down by Billy Daniels. Referee Andy Madley pointed straight to the penalty spot and Lowe sent Murphy the wrong way for his 17th goal of the season.
It was almost two on 20 minutes when Koumas curled a corner over Murphy and against the far post, while Matthew Kennedy headed over from close range from Pennington's right wing cross two minutes later.
At the other end a long range shot from John Fleck bobbled off the pitch into the arms of Fon Williams and the keeper pulled off a fantastic one handed save from Carl Baker. From the corner that followed Rovers did well to retain their lead. After Fon Williams punched the cross clear the ball was drilled back into the box and the keeper saved first from Baker and then from Franck Moussa before further effort from Daniels and Baker were cleared by the home defence. 
A minute later Tranmere were back on the attack, with Koumas racing forward and finding Lowe inside the area but his right foot shot hit the side netting.
Rovers doubled their advantage two minutes into the second half. A free kick awarded for a foul on Jake Cassidy was whipped into the six yard box by Koumas and turned past his own keeper by Conor Thomas.
Lowe picked up a knock and had to be replaced by Jake Kirby on 57 minutes and it was Kirby who added the third on 64 minutes. Jake Cassidy got through to a one on one with Murphy and though the keeper saved with his feet, the ball fell to Kennedy who ran past Cyrus Christie and rolled a cross through the six yard box for Kirby to tap in.
With a three goal lead Rovers started to enjoy themselves, with Wallace and Kennedy in the thick of things and the latter taking every opportunity to run at defenders.
However, Coventry gave the hosts a reminder the match wasn't over when Michael Petrasso beat the offside trap and slotted past Fon Williams from 18 yards to reduce the deficit to two on 78 minutes.
Stockton's shot from a tight angle was blocked in the second minute of added time and Robinson - on as a substitute for Kennedy - forced Murphy into a save soon after with the final shot of the match.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Pennington, Taylor, Arthurworrey, Ridehalgh, Kennedy (Robinson 86), Wallace, Jennings, Koumas, Lowe (Kirby 57), Cassidy (Stockton 66). Substitutes: Mooney, Holmes, Goodison, Power.

Coventry: Murphy, Christie (Willis 73), Clarke, Webster, Seaborne, Fleck, Thomas, Moussa, Daniels (Marshall 66), Baker (McGeouch 76), Petrasso. Substitutes: Adams, Barton, Maund, Burge.

Referee: Andy Madley

Yellow cards: Wallace (35), Kirby (83), Fleck (90+2)

    Latest Match Reports