Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 11:28 AM

A wonder strike from Steve Jennings helped Tranmere to a 3-2 win over Notts County at Prenton Park.
After Rovers had fallen behind to a Ronan Murray strike, goals from Jason Koumas and Ryan Lowe in quick succession put them ahead at half time. 
Alan Sheehan, who had earlier seen a penalty saved by Owain Fon Williams, curled County level from a free kick but Jennings' strike gave Rovers all three points and lifted the Club out of the relegation zone.
There was one change to the team that started at Brentford with Jake Kirby replacing Junior Brown, while there was a switch of formation from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 with Jason Koumas starting on the left wing.
Rovers started brightly and forced four corners in quick succession in the opening three minutes, while James Wallace headed wide from another corner in the tenth minute.
Wallace was involved again two minutes later with a surging run through the Notts County half before finding Jake Cassidy whose shot was saved by Bartosz Bialkowski.
However, County took the lead against the run of play on 14 minutes. A corner was cleared as far as Alan Sheehan whose low ball back into the box fell to Ronan Murray and he fired in at the near post from close range.
Ten minutes later Rovers were back level. Steve Jennings won a challenge midway inside the County half and played the ball to Koumas who took a few steps forward, side stepped past one challenge and curled into the bottom right corner from 20 yards.
On 28 minutes John McMahon's side took the lead. Koumas found Liam Ridehalgh on the left wing and he played the ball back from the byline to Lowe who side footed through a crowded goalmouth for his 19th goal of the season.
County had a chance to level soon after, with Liddle going down under a challenge from Ash Taylor and referee Keith Stroud awarding a penalty. However, Sheehan stepped up to take the spot kick and his effort was saved by the legs of Owain Fon Williams.
The action continued at a frantic pace. Wallace side stepped a challenge and curled just past the left hand post from the right side of the area on 28 minutes while Nathan Tyson's shot was saved by Fon Williams at the other end soon after.
Lowe thought he had Tranmere's third on 36 minutes when he turned Wallace's header goalwards but despite appeals it had crossed the line the officials ruled otherwise and play continued.
After appearing to battle through injury for much of the half Wallace had to be replaced by Max Power on 37 minutes. Soon after the change Jimmy Spencer volleyed wide for County, the last chance of the half for either side.
Jason Koumas had to be substituted due to injury six minutes into the second half, with Andy Robinson his replacement.
On 61 minutes County equalised. A foul on Murray gave Sheehan a shooting opportunity from a free kick 25 yards from goal and the full back expertly curled over the wall and into the top left corner.
Cassidy volleyed wide after heading the ball down inside the County area on 63 minutes and Kirby fired over from 15 yards three minutes later.
Cassidy hooked wide of Bialkowski's goal after Stephen Arthurworrey headed a Robinson free kick into his path on 71 minutes and Power turned well inside the County half before forcing Bialksowski top aplam behind with a 25 yard drive.
Fon Williams pulled off a good save from Murray on 82 minutes and two minutes later Rovers retook the lead. Robinson did well to find Lowe and though his shot was saved by Bialkowski and then cleared, the ball fell to Jennings 30 yards out who brought it down and unleashed an unstoppable half volley into the top right corner past the keeper.
Power had a chance to kill the game off when Lowe rolled the ball to him on the edge of the area on 87 minutes but the midfielder was under pressure and curled wide of the top right corner.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Arthurworrey, Ridehalgh, Cassidy, Koumas (Robinson 51), Jennings, Wallace (Power 37), Kirby, Lowe (Stockton 90). Substitutes: Mooney, Goodison, Rowe, Brown.

Notts County: Bialkowski, Dumbaya (McGregor 85), Sheehan, Liddle, Mullins, Spencer, Murray, Campbell-Ryce, Tempest, Hollis, Tyson (Grealish 67). Substitutes: Spiess, Smith, Thompson, Fotheringham, Dixon.

Referee: Keith Stroud

Yellow cards: Tyson (58), Mullins (82), Grealish (90+3) Fon Williams (90+5)

    Latest Match Reports