Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 11:29 AM

Junior Brown's first goal for the Club earned Tranmere a 2-1 home win over Shrewsbury Town and back to back league victories for the first time in 2013-14.
The winger netted late on to earn Rovers three vital points after Max Power's header had been cancelled out by Paul Parry.
There was one change to the team that started at Colchester with Ian Goodison replacing Stephen Arthurworrey in defence. 
Rovers started brightly, with a shot from Ryan Lowe being blocked from a Max Power corner and another effort from the striker hitting a defender on the way to goal with appeals for handball and a penalty turned down. 
Jon Taylor headed wide for Shrewsbury on 12 minutes after starting a move for the visitors with a diagonal run through the Tranmere half, while Liam Ridehalgh reacted
On 19 minutes Rovers took the lead. Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro held off three men on the left wing and curled in a cross towards the back post where Power jumped above Joe Jacobson and headed over the keeper and into the far corner of the goal.
On 29 minutes Luke Summerfield spotted Owain Fon Williams off his line when lining up a free kick on the halfway line and for a moment his speculative shot looked to be headed goalwards but to the relief of the home fans it landed just wide of the right hand post.
Tom Eaves shot straight at Fon Williams from the edge of the Tranmere area on 36 minutes and Jon Taylor sent a chip just over the bar a couple of minutes later after stealing possession from Ash Taylor wide on the right.
Lowe curled inches past the right hand post from the left side of the area six minutes into the second half and a dangerous Koumas free kick had to be cleared from the six yard box by Jacobson soon after.
Ridehalgh, Goodison and Power all got blocks in to snuff out a Shrewsbury counter attack on 62 minutes, while Jake Cassidy got his foot between Dominic Iorfa and Chris Weale soon after but couldn't direct his shot towards goal.
Goodison got his body in the way again on 63 minutes as Paul Parry volleyed goalwards and Jon Taylor headed wide at the back post moments later. 
At the other end Ash Taylor's looping header from Power's free kick had to be tipped on to the bar by Weale and Pennington had to stretch to reach the rebound and could only put his close range header over the goal.
The visitors equalised on 72 minutes. A free kick from Jon Taylor was headed away from goal by Goodison but only as far as Parry who headed past Fon Williams into the roof of the net from just outside the six yard box.
Injuries forced Koumas and Goodison to be replaced by Junior Brown and Stephen Arthurworrey on 78 minutes and it was Brown who restored Tranmere's lead on 85 minutes. The winger was picked out 30 yards from goal by Power and he ran towards the left side of the penalty area before drilling a low shot past Weale and in off the right hand post.
Rovers survived a goalmouth scramble on 86 minutes, with Power clearing after Fon Williams had pushed a cross away from goal.
With six minutes of added time at the end of the half there were some nervy moments for John McMahon's side, but they did enough to come away with all three points. 

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Pennington, Taylor, Goodison (Arthurworrey 78), Ridehalgh, Power, Jennings, Koumas (Brown 78), Akpa Akpro, Cassidy, Lowe. Substitutes: Mooney, Holmes, Boland, Rowe, Stockton.

Shrewsbury: Weale, Taylor, Parry (Foley 82), Wildig, Mkandawire, Jacobson, Eaves, Summerfield, Iorfa (Grandison 71), Atajic (Miller 58), Goldson. Substitutes: Anyon, Woods, Winfield, Bradshaw. 

Referee: David Phillips

Yellow cards: Koumas (33), Lowe (90), Grandison (90)

    Latest Match Reports