Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 11:30 AM

Tranmere had to settle for a point from their Easter Monday match against Sheffield United after being held to a goalless draw by the Blades.
Rovers created the majority of the game's chances and went closest to scoring, but the woodwork denied Ryan Lowe in the first half. 
There were two changes to the team that started at Gillingham, with injured pair Jason Koumas and Ian Goodison replaced by Steve Jennings and Danny Holmes.
It took until the tenth minute for the first shot of the game and it was Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro who had the effort, the striker firing straight at Mark Howard from 20 yards. 
Ryan Lowe came within inches of opening the scoring on 13 minutes, lifting a shot over Howard from a tight angle only to see the ball cannon off the left hand post and away from goal. The striker reacted quickly to reach the rebound first but his second attempt was saved by Howard.
Jake Cassidy cut into the area and went down under a challenge from Harry Maguire on 15 minutes but the referee waved away appeals for a penalty. 
After injury forced Akpa Akpro to be replaced by Jake Kirby, Chris Porter headed over the bar for the visitors from an unmarked position at a corner.
Lowe curled a 30 yard free kick over the bar on 31 minutes and the striker shot into the side netting from outside the area soon after. 
Rovers continued to press and Kirby and Lowe combined on 32 minutes to create an opening for Junior Brown whose powerful strike had to be turned over the bar by Howard.
Brown headed wide at the near post after Cassidy flicked a Liam Ridehalgh throw in into his path on 35 minutes, while Ridehalgh was replaced soon after due to injury, with Brown moving to left back and James Rowe coming on into left midfield.
Matthew Pennington blocked a 25 yard shot from Connor Dimaio on 54 minutes while Ash Taylor headed just past the post from Brown's inswinging free kick at the other end a minute later.
A Cassidy shot deflected a couple of yards wide of the target on 57 minutes while Brayford powered through the Tranmere half and side footed wide of Owain Fon Williams' right hand post on 70 minutes.
A chipped pass from Lowe gave Power a chance on 75 minutes but his first time volley from outside the area hit a defender and Taylor sent a flick header past the far post from Brown's free kick seven minutes later.
Fon Williams got his fingertips to a 25 yard shot from former Rovers loanee Jose Baxter to turn it around the post on 84 minutes. At the other end Taylor headed a Rowe corner back across goal on 85 minutes and after Lowe diverted it closer to goal, Cassidy headed wide from close range.
Cassidy was replaced by Stockton as the game went into added time but the striker was unable to create an opening in the final couple of minutes.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Pennington, Ridehalgh (Rowe 41), Brown, Power, Jennings, Akpa Akpro (Kirby 19), Cassidy (Stockton 90), Lowe. Unused substitutes: Mooney, Arthurworrey, Morris, Boland.

Sheff Utd: Howard, Brayford, Maguire (Freeman 66), Hill, Porter (Baxter 45 HT), McGinn (Doyle 45 HT), Collins, Coady, Davies, Murphy, Dimaio. Unused substitutes: Long, Flynn, Paynter, Kennedy.

Referee: Stephen Martin

Yellow cards: Maguire (54)

    Latest Match Reports