Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 22 Feb 14 at 05:03 AM

Goals from Matt Tubbs and Gwion Edwards saw Tranmere lose 2-0 at Crawley Town on Tuesday night. 
Rovers went closest to scoring through Matthew Pennington and Jake Cassidy but couldn't convert any of their chances and had to make the long trip home empty handed.
There were two changes to the team that beat Shrewsbury. Ryan Lowe was not included in the squad as a precaution after picking up a knock against the Shrews while Jason Koumas missed out with a toe injury. Coming into the side were Junior Brown and Jake Kirby. 
The first chance of the game came on six minutes. Matt Tubbs broke past Ian Goodison and, rather than shooting, tried to pick out Jamie Proctor but Matthew Pennington was quickly in position to clear.
Pennington headed goalwards at the other end from a Max Power corner on 12 minutes but Crawley keeper Paul Jones did well to keep the effort out and the score level.
Former Rovers winger Mike Jones saw a shot from the edge of the area blocked by Pennington on 15 minutes while Tubbs missed the target from 18 yards soon after.
A long range, dipping effort from Power was saved by Paul Jones at the second attempt on 30 minutes and six minutes later the home side took the lead. A free kick 25 yards out gave Tubbs a shooting opportunity and the striker expertly curled past Owain Fon Williams and into the net. 
Jake Cassidy's attempt to equalise from long range seconds after the restart was saved by Paul Jones, while Jamie Proctor hooked over on 42 minutes for Crawley after controlling a long ball from Andy Drury.
Pennington headed a Power free kick goalwards on 52 minutes only to see Kyle McFadzean head clear and Cassidy broke past the Crawley defence but had his shot pushed behind for a corner by Jones soon after.
An Akpa Akpro strike deflected into the side netting on 55 minutes and Jones saved again from Cassidy seven minutes later, with the striker firing towards the near post from a tight angle.
Power fired over the bar from the edge of the area on 68 minutes and Pennington sent a back post header above the goal ten minutes later.
Akpa Akpro rose well to meet Cassidy's cross on 82 minutes but his header was put straight into the arms of Jones.
Three minutes later Crawley doubled their lead. The ball broke to substitute Gwion Edwards outside the area and he poked his shot past the onrushing Fon Williams with his first touch of the game. 
It was almost three on 89 minutes but Proctor's 20 yard shot struck the post and rebounded to safety.

Crawley: Paul Jones, Sadler, Connolly, McFadzean, Drury (Edwards 76), Simpson (Dicker 82), Walsh, Proctor, Bulman, Tubbs (Torres 59), Mike Jones. Unused substitutes: Essam, Fallon, Monakana, Maddison.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Pennington, Taylor, Goodison, Ridehalgh, Kirby (Rowe 79), Power, Jennings, Brown (Stockton 72), Akpa Akpro, Cassidy. Unused substitutes: Mooney, Holmes, Morris, Arthurworrey, Boland.

Referee: James Linington

Yellow cards: Paul Jones (62), Rowe (90+4)

    Latest Match Reports