Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 at 18:23 PM

A James Rowe goal four minutes into injury time earned Tranmere a point against York City at Prenton Park. Rowe's late effort cancelled out a 67th minute header by York's Keith Lowe which had given the Minstermen the lead.
Five of Tranmere's summer signings started Rob Edwards' first competitive game in charge at Prenton Park. Michael Ihiekwe, Marcus Holness, Eliot Richards, Marc Laird and Danny Woodards all made their full debuts for the club while Kayode Odejayi, Clayton McDonald, Matt Gill and Matt Hill were named on the bench.
Meanwhile there was a swift return to Prenton Park for goalkeeper Jason Mooney who moved to York City in the summer and took his place in the starting line-up for the Minstermen.
The first chance of the game fell to Tranmere on six minutes. Cole Stockton nodded the ball back to Jason Koumas who took a touch before sending a 25-yard shot high over the crossbar.
The visitors' first chance came on 11 minutes. A throw-in from the right was received by Michael Coulson who turned sharply before sending a right-foot shot across goal and just wide of the far post.
On 20 minutes, some nice interplay between Koumas and Stockton saw the ball played in to Eliot Richards who fired in a shot which was blocked out for a corner.
A good chance went abegging for Rovers on 33 minutes. Koumas sent in a low cross from the left which was cut back by Jake Kirby who found Stockton but the striker miscontrolled and the chance was gone.
Koumas had another effort on goal on 38 minutes. He picked the ball up just inside the York half and drove towards goal but his low strike from 25 yards was well saved by Mooney.
Owain Fon Williams was called into action just before the interval. Coulson hit a powerful low drive from 30 yards which the Welshman palmed away from danger to keep the score goalless at half-time.
There were early second half chances for both sides. Koumas hit a 20 yard effort wide of the target for Tranmere while at the other end a throw-in from the left was bouncing around the penalty area and Coulson hit a powerful volley inches over the crossbar.
James Rowe entered the fray after 62 minutes to replace Max Power in the middle of the field in the first change of the game.
York took the lead midway through the second half. A corner from the left was swung in by Lindon Meikle and Keith Lowe rose the highest to head home past Fon Williams.
Soon after the goal, Abdulai Baggie took the place of Koumas before Richards headed a Rowe set-piece narrowly wide of the target.
Richards was then replaced by Kayode Odejayi on 77 minutes as Rovers looked to get back in the game.
The equalising goal came in the 94th minute. James Rowe hit a volley on the turn from the edge of the penalty area which crept in past the despairing dive of Mooney to give Tranmere a share of the spoils, seconds before the final whistle blew.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Ihiekwe, Holness, Woodards, Kirby, Power (Rowe 62), Laird, Richards (Odejayi 78), Koumas (Baggie 71), Stockton. Substitutes: Pilling, McDonald, Hill, Gill.

York: Mooney, McCoy, Ilesanmi, McCombe, Coulson (Montrose 90+1), Penn, Jarvis (Hirst 71), Straker (Summerfield 78), Lowe, Platt, Meikle. Substitutes: Ingham, Parslow, Winfield, Hirst, Murray.

Referee: Kevin Johnson

Yellow cards: Penn (84)

    Latest Match Reports