Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 at 18:23 PM

Tranmere fell to a 3-2 defeat against Accrington Stanley at the Store First Stadium. Trailing to a first half James Gray penalty, Rovers took the lead through a brace by Abdulai Baggie. But two goals in four minutes towards the end by Gray and Kai Naismith gave Stanley the victory.
Manager Rob Edwards made just one change to the side that beat Morecambe last weekend. With Owain fon Williams away on international duty with Wales, Peter Brezovan came in to make his debut after signing earlier this week from Portsmouth.
Jason Koumas was back in the squad on the substitutes bench after missing the Morecambe win with a knee injury, while new signing George Donnelly and Danny Woodards were not involved due to injury.
The first shot of the goal from Tranmere in the opening couple of minutes. A good forward pass by Janoi Donacien found Eliot Richards who turned but dragged his shot just wide.
The home side were awarded a penalty on 8 minutes. Kal Naismith broke into the penalty area and was brought down by Donacien and the referee awarded a spot-kick which James Gray fired low and hard and despite Brezovan getting a hand to the effort he could not keep it out.
Tranmere were almost level in bizarre circumstances on 14 minutes. A ball forward by James Rowe seems to be collected by Stanley keeper Joe Lumley only for it to slip out of his hands. Cole Stockton tried to capitalise but his effort went into the side netting.
There was a lull in the action and the next goalmouth action wasn't until the 33rd minute when Naismith cut inside from the left hand side and fired a low shot which Brezovan saved low down to his left.
On 41 minutes, a quick free-kick was taken by Abdulai Baggie to Danny Holmes, who inside in the penalty box screwed his shot wide of the target.
A moment later and there was another bizarre moment. Brezovan took too long with the ball at his feet and Gray charged the ball down but it deflected wide of the goal.
Just before the break, a long ball forward found Accrington forward Marcus Carver who shrugged off a challenge but miscued his shot well wide of Brezovan's goal as Stanley went in 1-0 ahead at the interval.
A minute after the return saw an equaliser for Rovers. Max Power played a ball forward for Baggie, who broke the offside trap and neatly slid the ball between the goalkeeper's legs and into the net for his second goal of the season.
On 55 minutes, Rovers almost caught out the Stanley offside trap for a second time. Marc Laird threaded a through ball which split the Accrington defence but goalkeeper Lumley got the ball a split second ahead of Eliot Richards and the ball was cleared.
At the other end a long ball forward from the home side fell to Gray who brought the ball down but dragged his shot a couple of yards wide of the goal.
On 63 minutes, a dangerous cross from the right by Baggie almost found James Rowe at the back post but Nicky Hunt got to the ball just ahead of the Tranmere midfielder to concede a corner.
Midway through the second half, Baggie was at the centre of things again. Power played a ball forward to him down the right and his pull back was met by Laird whose shot was blocked and dealt with by Lumley in the Stanley goal.
With 20 minutes remaining, Tranmere took the lead. A combination of James Rowe and Max Power won the ball back midway in the Accrington half. The ball went to Richards who played it forward to Baggie, who was in behind the defence again, who rounded Lumley and side footed home for his second of the game.
On 78 minutes, Rob Edwards made a double substitution with Jason Koumas and Jake Kirby replaced Rowe and Richards.
Seconds after the change, Stanley levelled. A long throw in by Hunt was flicked on by Carver with the ball being headed  into the bottom corner by Gray for his second goal of the afternoon.
The hosts had the next chance on goal. Substitute Josh Windass drove forward from midfield and fired a powerful shot which flew narrowly over the crossbar.
Accrington retook the lead on 82 minutes. Adam Buxton hit a curling shot from the left edge of the penalty area which Brezovan saved to his left but the ball fell to Kal Naismith who tapped the ball home from close range.
In the second minute of injury time, Rovers were inches away from an equaliser. A corner was only half cleared with the ball falling to Koumas 25 yards out who hit a powerful shot which hit the top of the crossbar and went out for a goal kick.
That was the last action of the game as Stanley held on to take the three points.

Accrington Stanley: Lumley, Buxton, Joyce, Aldred, Gray, Naismith, Carver, Mingoia (Hatfield 90+1), Hunt, Procter (Windass 76), Atkinson. Substitutes: Simpson, Liddle, Winnard, McCarten, Bowerman.

Tranmere: Brezovan, Holmes, Donacien, Ihiekwe, Hill, Baggie, Laird, Power, Rowe (Koumas 78), Richards (Kirby 78), Stockton. Substitutes: Ramsbottom, Gumbs, Holness, Gill, Odejayi.

Referee: Keith Hill

Yellow cards: Hunt (4), Stockton (65), Naismith (82)

    Latest Match Reports