Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 at 18:24 PM

Tranmere claimed a point at Victoria Park after being held to a goalless draw by Hartlepool United.
Rob Edwards' side created the better of the chances, hitting the woodwork through Abdulai Baggie.
There were two changes to the team that started at Accrington Stanley a week earlier, with Owain Fon Williams returning from international duty to take the place of Peter Brezovan in goal and Matt Gill coming in for James Rowe in midfield. George Donnelly and Matthias Fanimo were named on the substitutes' bench for the first time.
In a frantic opening minute, Rovers captain Max Power missed with an angled shot from the right side of the Hartlepool area before Fon Williams had to race off his line to clear the ball from the path of Charlie Wyke.
Cole Stockton fired across goal and wide on nine minutes after receiving the ball from Abdulai Baggie inside the area and the striker's attempt at chipping Flinders hit the keeper three minutes after he latched on to an underhit back pass.
At the other end Michael Ihiekwe did well to clear a cross away from the head of Wyke at the back post and Danny Holmes ended a break from Jack Compton.
Stockton headed into Flinders' hands from a Laird cross on 21 minutes while Ryan Brobbel shot past the post after running behind the Rovers defence three minutes later.
A foul on Baggie 25 yards from goal gave Matt Hill a shooting opportunity from a free kick on 37 minutes and the left back's curled effort brought a decent fingertip save out of Flinders.
The final chance of the half fell to Stockton following a goalmouth scramble but his powerfully struck low effort went inches past of the left hand post.
Marc Laird headed wide from a Baggie cross five minutes into the second half and Richards fired high and wide soon after from a Stockton knock down.
Baggie shot across goal and wide from a Richards cross and crashed another effort against the corner of the post and crossbar on 72 minutes after receiving the ball from Hill at the back post.
Power ran on to a pass from Stockton in a quick Rovers counter attack on 80 minutes but his close range effort was blocked, while Hartlepool's Wyke sliced a shot away from the target at the other end soon after.
Substitute Donnelly turned and fired goalwards on 88 minutes only for his effort to deflect behind for a corner and the striker fired over in added time after cutting in from the right.

Hartlepool: Flinders, Richards, Bates, Harrison, Austin, Brobbel (Woods 83), Miller, Walker, Compton (Holden 83), Franks (Harewood 72), Wyke. Substitutes: Collins, Hawkins, Jones, Barber.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Donacien, Ihiekwe, Hill, Baggie (Donnelly 78), Power, Gill, Laird, Richards, Stockton. Substitutes: Brezovan, Holness, Koumas, Rowe, Fanimo, Odejayi.

Referee: Darren Handley
Yellow cards: Gill (57), Power (81)

    Latest Match Reports