Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 at 18:25 PM

Tranmere and Mansfield played out a goalless draw in a game played in blustery conditions as Prenton Park saw the aftermath of Hurricane Gonzalo.

New Tranmere manager Micky Adams was in charge of Rovers for the first time and he made five changes to the side which began the 2-0 defeat at Oxford United last Saturday.

New loan arrivals Armand Gnanduillet and Danny Johnson, from Chesterfield and Cardiff City respectively, started up front while Owain fon Williams, Marc Laird and Jake Kirby returned to the starting line-up.

The first opportunity of the game fell to Rovers on eight minutes. A free-kick on the left was whipped over by Max Power but Armand Gnanduillet couldn't get the desired contact and the ball went wide of goal.

Gnanduillet went closer three minutes later. He picked the ball up 25 yards from goal and hit a low left-footed effort which was deflected narrowly wide.

As conditions worsened with heavy wind and rain blustering around Prenton Park, there was a spell of little goalmouth action.

Tranmere had another effort on 29 minutes. After a period of possession, the ball was worked out to Marc Laird 25 yards from goal but the midfielder's curling effort went over the crossbar.

On 35 minutes, Danny Holmes marauded down the left and swung in a low dangerous cross from the left but it evaded the onrushing Gnanduillet and Jake Kirby at the far post.

Mansfield's first effort on the Rovers goal came on 37 minutes. A low cross from the right was half cleared and it fell to Simon Heslop who looped the ball just over the crossbar.

Danny Johnson went close for Tranmere six minutes before the break. Kirby was fouled on the edge of the penalty area and Johnson stepped up but hit his free-kick a foot or so too high.

Heslop had another effort from distance just before the interval. Robert Taylor's free-kick from the right was cleared only as far as Heslop who swung his left foot and sent the ball wide of the target as the half ended goalless.

On 51 minutes, George Barker hit a half volley from the left corner of the penalty area which was deflected just wide. The resulting corner saw Power's delivery met by Marcus Holness but his header was deflected wide for another flag kick which came to nothing.

A further few more corners were soon forced after that by Tranmere but they came to nothing.

On 71 minutes, Laird dinked the ball to Kirby inside the box who cut inside and fired a right foot shot which Mansfield goalkeeper Sascha Studer saved low to his right.

Two minutes later, Tranmere made their first change with Danny Johnson being withdrawn, replaced by George Donnelly before Abdulai Baggie entered the fray in the place of George Barker.

After a long stoppage for an injury to Mansfield's Alex Fisher, Rovers made their final change with Kayode Odejayi introduced for Jake Kirby.

That injury delay meant for seven minutes added time at the end of the game but Tranmere couldn't force a winner and both teams took a point.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Donacien, Holness, Ihiekwe, Holmes, Kirby (Odejayi 86), Power, Laird, Barker (Baggie 74), Gnanduillet, Johnson (Donnelly 73). Substitutes: Brezovan, Davies, Rowe, Gill.

Mansfield: Studer, Sutton, Bell (Carr 62), Fisher (Thompson-Lambe 84), Bingham, McGuire, Freeman (Taylor 32), Heslop, Beevers, Sendles-White, Riley. Substitutes: Evtimov, Marsden, Thomas.

Referee: Tony Harrington

Yellow cards:Gnanduillet (13), Sendles-White (90+4)

    Latest Match Reports