Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 at 18:25 PM

Armand Gnanduillet scored his first two goals for Tranmere as Rovers twice came from behind to pick up a point at AFC Wimbledon.
The Chesterfield loanee netted either side of half time as Micky Adams' side moved off the bottom of League 2.
Adams named an unchanged side from the midweek draw against Mansfield Town, though Liam Ridehalgh returned from injury to be named on the substitutes' bench where he was joined by new loan signing Josh Thompson.
Dons striker Adebayo Akinfenwa headed wide at the back post from a Sean Rigg cross on seven minutes while Adam Barrett headed over at a corner a couple of minutes later.
Akinfenwa volleyed out of the ground from 18 yards on ten minutes, a feat repeated at the other end by George Barker soon after.
Max Power's free kick was cleared as far as Jake Kirby on the edge of the area on 14 minutes but his volley was saved by James Shea.
On 16 minutes the home side took the lead. Jack Smith burst into the area and after playing a one two with Rigg, his chip beat Owain Fon Williams and Janoi Donacien was unable to clear off the goal line.
Their advantage was gone inside four minutes. Barker found Armand Gnanduillet 25 yards out and after side stepping past one challenge, the striker shot into the bottom left hand corner past the outstretched arm of Shea.
On 31 minutes a fantastic flick on from Akinfenwa sent Rigg through into a shooting position but Marcus Holness was well positioned to clear his left foot angled strike from just in front of goal.
Holness prevented Matt Tubbs from creating a shooting angle on 39 minutes and fellow defender Danny Holmes denied the striker again a minute later.
Gnanduillet's angled drive was turned around the post by the keeper on 41 minutes with Michael Ihiekwe volleying over from the resulting corner.
Wimbledon went back ahead on the stroke of half time, with Barry Fuller sending in a cross from the right wing and Akinfenwa rising above his marker to head in at the back post.
Gnanduillet brought a save out of Shea with a 20 yard shot on 45 minutes, the final chance of the half for either side.
Ten minutes into the second half Kayode Odejayi and Liam Ridehalgh came on for Kirby and Barker, with Rovers switching to a 3-4-3 formation.
Shea saved Odejayi's 20 yard volley after an effort from Laird was deflected into the path of the striker while a Holmes strike was turned away from the target by a defender.
Rovers equalised again on 65 minutes. A corner from the right was curled in by Power and Gnanduillet rose highest to head in from six yards for his second of the afternoon, with Shea getting a hand to the ball but unable to keep it out of the net.
George Donnelly replaced Danny Johnson on 71 minutes and laid the ball off for Ridehalgh soon after, with the defender's cross hooked just past the post by Gnanduillet.
Rigg headed over from a Fuller cross on 78 minutes and Fon Williams reacted quickly to race off his line and save from Adebayo Azeez eight minutes later.
Ihiekwe timed his challenge to perfection to prevent Azeez from having a one on one chance with Fon Williams on 88 minutes while Donnelly fired over from 18 yards at the other end.

AFC Wimbledon: Shea, Fuller, Smith, Moore, Barrett, Frampton, Rigg (Kennedy 78), Bulman, Akinfenwa, Tubbs (Azeez 72), Francomb (Pell 88). Substitutes: McDonnell, Bennett, Nicholson, Harrison.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Donacien, Holness, Ihiekwe, Holmes, Barker (Ridehalgh 55), Power, Laird, Kirby (Odejayi 55), Gnanduillet, Johnson(Donnelly 71). Substitutes: Brezovan, Thompson, Rowe, Baggie.

Referee: Andy D'Urso

Yellow cards:

    Latest Match Reports