Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 at 18:25 PM

Tranmere recorded their first league victory in three months with a 3-1 win over Portsmouth at Prenton Park. A first half strike by Shamir Fenelon was cancelled out by Jed Wallace after the break. But further strikes by James Rowe and Max Power ensured that Micky Adams got his first league victory as Rovers manager.
There were three changes to the side which were defeated by Southend United last weekend with Owain Fon Williams, Danny Holmes and James Rowe coming into the side. Marcus Holness and Calaum Jahraldo-Martin moved down to the bench while Peter Brezovan missed out with a back injury.
Tranmere got off to a fantastic start with a goal after just 75 seconds. Danny Holmes did well to force a corner and Max Power's delivery from the right fell to Shamir Fenelon at the back post who poked the ball over the line for his first goal for the club.
Fenelon had a chance to get his second of the afternoon on six minutes. The on-loan striker got on the end of Power's forward header and blasted a low shot from the right edge of the box which Portsmouth goalkeeper Paul Jones saved low to his left.
Pompey's opening opportunity of the game came on 11 minutes. Jed Wallace swung in a right wing corner which found the head of Jack Whatmough who couldn't direct his header on target.
There was a stoppgae in play on 17 minutes with Danny Holmes and Will Aimson both down following a challenge. Holmes was ok to continue but Aimson was carried off the field on a stretcher and replaced by Marcus Holness.
Cole Stockton tried his luck from 25 yards midway through the first half but his effort lacked power and was dealt with by Jones.
Owain Fon Williams had to be at his best on 31 minutes. Portsmouth attacked down the right with Jed Wallace who pulled the ball back for Marcus Bean to crack a shot which the Welsh goalkeeper tipped over the crossbar.
Four minutes before the break, Fenelon collected a pass from Jennings 30 yards out and with his back to goal. He turned a struck a low, powerful shot which Jones did well to save low to his right in what was the last goalmouth action of the opening 45 minutes.
Four minutes into the second half and Fenelon again tested Jones with a powerful shot which the Portsmouth shot-stopper parried wide for a corner.
Jed Wallace struck an equaliser for Portsmouth on 57 minutes. A corner from the right was half-cleared and it fell to Wallace 20 yards out whose shot took a wicked deflection past Fon Williams.
On 62 minutes, good interchange play between Power and James Rowe saw the latter have a shot from 12 yards which Jones parried before collecting at the second attempt ahead of the onrushing Stockton.
Tranmere regained the lead on 67 minutes. A cross from the left by Liam Ridehalgh was miscontrolled by Stockton. But the ball found Rowe on the edge of the box and the midfielder curled a powerful shot into the top corner of the net.
A minute later, Wallace broke for the visitors and took the ball from right to left before dragging a shot narrowly wide from 25 yards.
On 71 minutes, Portsmouth striker Craig Westcarr had a couple of chances, firstly he nicked the ball ahead of Holness only for Fon Williams to divert the ball away from goal, and then he collected a cross in the box and turned but his shot was straight at the Rovers goalkeeper.
On 76 minutes, Tranmere were awarded a penalty. Fenelon broke clear on the right and his low cross found Ridehalgh who was bundled over by Wallace. Power's spot-kick was saved by Jones but the midfielder fired home the rebound off the underside of the crossbar to make it 3-1.
With eight minutes remaining, Tranmere made their second substitution of the afternoon with Marc Laird replacing Rowe in midfield, before two minutes later Stockton was replaced by Kayode Odejayi in their final change.
The final action saw a Power free-kick from the right headed goalwards by Odejayi but Jones made the save as Rovers calimed three points for the first time since the end of August.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Donacien, Aimson (Holness 21), Ihiekwe, Ridehalgh, Power, Jennings, Rowe (Laird 80), Stockton (Odejayi 83), Fenelon. Substitutes: Pilling, Koumas, Jahraldo-Martin, Madjo.

Portsmouth: Jones, Whatmough (Chorley 27), Wallace, Taylor (Lee Holmes 54), Storey, Robinson, Bean (Ricky Holmes 75), Westcarr, Fish, Hollands, Butler. Substitutes: Chorley, Ertl, Shorey, Poke, Atangana.

Referee: Carl Boyeson

Yellow cards: Jennings (51), Wallace (75)

    Latest Match Reports