Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 at 18:25 PM

Max Power's second half strike earned Tranmere a 1-0 win at Dagenham & Redbridge and lifted the Club out of the League 2 relegation zone.
The midfielder's eighth goal of the season came midway through the half in a game which saw Rovers create the majority of chances on goal throughout.
Micky Adams made two changes to the team that started against Walsall in midweek, as Shamir Fenelon and Marc Laird came in for Cole Stockton and James Rowe. Youth team goalkeeper Luke Pilling was again named on the substitutes' bench with both Peter Brezovan and Sam Ramsbottom out injured.
Dagenham keeper Mark Cousins had to palm an early Fenelon cross away from the head of Kayode Odejayi at the back post while Max Power blocked a close range shot from Jamie Cureton following a corner at the other end.
On 13 minutes a Power corner was only headed away as far as Laird by the home defence and his well struck volley had to be blocked by a defender six yards from goal.
Laird and Power combined on 22 minutes with Power firing just past the left hand post from 20 yards following a lay off from his midfield colleague, while a Donacien cross was headed back across goal by Danny Holmes towards Odejayi but the striker couldn't capitalise on the chance.
Veteran striker Cureton side footed wide from 15 yards after Damian Batt cut inside Liam Ridehalgh and pulled the ball back while a shot from Jennings was charged down on 32 minutes and a long range effort from Power saved by Cousins soon after.
Holmes tested Cousins with a low left foot shot on 38 minutes and Odejayi headed over the bar after a Power back post volley was blocked.
Though Rovers started the second half unchanged, they were forced into a substitution four minutes after the interval, with a cut above the eye forcing Laird out of the action and Rowe on his his place.
Fenelon turned the ball into the Dagenham net on 53 minutes when he diverted a shot from Steve Jennings into the bottom left corner from close range but the assistant referee was quick to raise his flag for offside.
Holmes volleyed past the left hand post from Fenelon's lay off and Odejayi fired over from outside the area as Rovers searched for the opener.
It came on 74 minutes. Odejayi held the ball up just inside the Dagenham half, turned and played a through ball for Power to run on to. The midfielder surged towards the Dagenham area and drilled a sjot past Cousins and into the net for his sixth goal in eight games.
Cousins saved from substitute Stockton at his near post on 82 minutes and watched a 30-yard effort from Power go inches past his top left corner five minutes later.
The home keeper was called into action again on 89 minutes, saving Holmes' powerful strike from the right side of the area after the defender had been released by Jennings.
Though the home side pressed late on, Rovers did enough for the win.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Cousins, Batt, Doe, Saah, Bingham, Cureton, Chambers (Boucaud 61), Labadie (Jakubiak 77), Hemmings (Widdowson 61), Obileye, Agyemang. Substitutes: O'Brien, Murphy, Porter, Yussuf.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Donacien, Holness, Ihiekwe, Ridehalgh, Power, Jennings, Laird (Rowe 49), Odejayi, Fenelon (Stockton 72). Substitutes: Pilling, Woodards, Jahraldo-Martin, Donnelly, Madjo.

Referee: Graham Scott

Yellow cards: Butt (3), Ridehalgh (26), Laird (45)

    Latest Match Reports