Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 at 18:26 PM

Tranmere picked up a point on the road with a 0-0 draw against Morecambe at the Globe Arena in their first league outing of 2015.
Rovers manager Micky Adams named just one change to the starting line-up which lost last weekend against Swansea City.
Liam Ridehalgh came in to replace Janoi Donacien in defence while there were a number of changes on the bench with 2nd year youth scholars Evan Gumbs and Ben Jago among the substitutes alongside new loan signing Rory Donnelly who arrived this week from Swansea City.
After a quiet start to the game in difficult windy conditions, Morecambe had the opening sight of goal on 15 minutes when a free-kick was awarded 30 yards from goal and Jamie Devitt stepped up but hit a powerful shot narrowly over the crossbar.
Tranmere's first chance arrived four minutes later when Steve Jennings played a ball in to Shamir Fenelon 25 yards from goal and the striker turned and fired a shot on goal which took a deflection and went narrowly wide of the target.
On 31 minutes, Tranmere had to make a change after Marcus Holness was stretchered off and replaced by Rory Donnelly for his Rovers debut and six minutes into his first appearance he tried his luck from distance but his shot went wide.
Owain Fon Williams was first called into action on 41 minutes when Jack Redshaw sent in a low shot which he saved low to his right.
The hosts had the final chance of the half when a high ball was played forward and Kevin Ellison got to the ball first and lobbed Fon Williams but the ball went wide of the goal.
Tranmere had a great opportunity early in the second half. Liam Ridehalgh's cross from the left found Marc Laird in the middle of the penalty area but the midfielder couldn't control his header and it went just over the crossbar.
On 56 minutes, Rory Donnelly again had an attempt from 25 yards but his effort from the right edge of the area curled wide of the far post before, on the hour mark, Cole Stockton hit a powerful shot which Morecambe goalkeeper Andreas Arestidou held onto.
Midway through the second half, Rovers made a double change with Jason Koumas and George Donnelly introduced into the action in place of Laird and Fenelon.
George Donnelly's first action was picking up the ball from Danny Holmes on the right before he cut inside and hit a low left-footed shot which Arestidou held low to his left.
In the final minute of  normal time, Jack Redshaw tested Fon Williams with a low shot from 25 yards which the goalkeeper stopped down to his right before a Stockton effort flew over the bar in stoppage time before the referee blew his final whistle to end a goalless affair.

Morecambe: Arestidou, Beeley, Devitt (McCready 78), Hughes, Edwards, Redshaw, Ellison (Amond 82), Goodall (Kenyon 82), Drummond, Wilson, Parrish. Substitutes: Jones, Williams, Mullin, McGowan.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Holmes, Holness (Rory Donnelly 31), Thompson, Ihiekwe, Ridehalgh, Power, Jennings, Laird (George Donnelly 67), Stockton, Fenelon (Koumas 67). Substitutes: Brezovan, Gumbs, Kirby, Jago.

Referee: Eddie Ilderton

Yellow cards:

    Latest Match Reports